Sanchez sends Giants past Mets in extrasApr 21, 2012 - 5:35 AM
Angel Pagan homered against his former team and the Giants scored three third- inning runs, but New York forced an extra frame when Josh Thole's base hit plated the tying tally with one out in the ninth.
"It means a lot when you fight through the game and you get wins in close games like that. It's worth it," Pagan said.
Frank Francisco (0-1) walked Melky Cabrera to start the 10th. Cabrera stole second with one out and Nate Schierholtz was intentionally walked with two down. Sanchez then hit a soft line single to center field. The ball was bobbled by Kirk Nieuwenhuis and the throw came to third base with a safe call there.
Sergio Romo gave up singles to Daniel Murphy and David Wright to start the New York 10th. Clay Hensley then got Ike Davis to ground out to second on a ball that shattered the bat, moving both runners into scoring position. Jason Bay struck out to set the stage for Lucas Duda.
He took a called first strike and then fouled off four straight pitches before taking a pair of balls. The left-handed hitter then flied out to center field, securing the first save of the year for Hensley with Romo (1-0) getting the win.
Pagan, who was traded by the Mets to San Francisco in December, homered leading off the third against Jon Niese. Buster Posey had the fourth straight hit for the Giants, an RBI double. Niese's wild pitch then plated Pablo Sandoval.
Bay homered to left with two down in the fourth and Nieuwenhuis went deep the opposite way to left leading off the bottom of the fifth.
Nieuwenhuis made a diving catch at the warning track to end the top of the eighth off a ball hit by Sanchez.
With men on first and second in the ninth, Thole capped his eight-pitch at-bat with a ground single into right field. That snapped a 12-inning scoreless stretch for the San Francisco bullpen.
"I was just preparing myself what I was going to see," Thole said. "I just tried to put a good at-bat together."
Sandoval has hit safely in all 13 games this season. His 13-game streak is three shy of the club record held by Willie Mays, accomplished in 1960...The Giants went 2-for-14 with men in scoring position and are 6-for-53 in those situations in their last five games...Wright has a 10-game hitting streak. He also walked twice and has reached base safely at least twice in all 10 games he's played this season, the longest stretch to start a campaign in team history. Wright also has played in 1,116 games, tying Mookie Wilson for sixth place on the club's all-time list...Giants starter Barry Zito lasted five innings, while Niese threw six frames.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 4
NEW YORK: 3
Apr 20 10:53 PM
- Hector Sanchez singled to center scoring Melky Cabrera. On the play, Sanchez advances to second on Kirk Nieuwenhuis' fielding error. On the play, Nate Schierholtz advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Emmanuel Burriss due up.
Giants 4, Mets 3 Top 10, 2 OutsApr 20 10:35 PM
- Josh Thole singled to right scoring Jason Bay. On the play, Kirk Nieuwenhuis advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Tim Byrdak due up.
Giants 3, Mets 3 Bot 9, 1 OutApr 20 10:13 PM
- Jon Niese nted into a fielder's choice, third to short. On the play, Mike Nickeas out at second. Runner on first with one out and Ruben Tejada due up.
Giants 3, Mets 2 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 20 8:41 PM
- Jason Bay two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Scott Hairston due up.
Giants 3, Mets 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 20 8:23 PM
- Jon Niese's wild pitch scored Pablo Sandoval. Buster Posey advances to third on a wild pitch. Runner on third with none out and Brett Pill at the plate.
Giants 3, Mets 0 Top 3, 0 OutsApr 20 7:57 PM
- Angel Pagan lead-off Home Run (1) to left center. Melky Cabrera due up.
Giants 1, Mets 0 Top 3, 0 OutsApr 20 7:50 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 20 7:12 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22