Garcia helps Cards down GiantsMay 17, 2012 - 6:42 AM
Garcia (3-2) scattered nine hits and struck out nine without issuing a walk to get the win. Fernando Salas and Marc Rzepczynski combined to finish the eighth and Jason Motte worked around a base hit in the ninth to secure his seventh save of the season.
David Freese finished 3-for-4 with a solo home run, Skip Schumaker had a pinch-hit, two-run double and Allen Craig contributed an RBI for the Cards, who have won two straight since dropping four in a row.
Madison Bumgarner (5-3) allowed four runs on seven hits while striking out three without walking a batter in 7 1/3 innings to absorb the loss.
Buster Posey had an RBI single among his three hits for the Giants, who have dropped their past two to fall a game under .500 for the season.
"I think we're OK. We know what we need to do, what we need to work on," said Bumgarner. "We know how to pick each other up."
With the game tied at one, Freese put the Cards ahead for good in the seventh when he barreled up a hanging curveball from Bumgarner and sent it over the wall in left for a 2-1 St. Louis lead.
Freese had been hitless in his previous five games entering Wednesday.
"I've definitely had a rough week, but you just show up and keep working," he said. "It was nice to help the team tonight.
Garcia helped his own cause with a single in the eighth and Furcal followed with a double into the right field corner to put runners on second and third. Schumaker then ripped a double down the left field line to score Garcia and Furcal for the 4-1 advantage.
Nate Schierholtz laced a single into right to start the San Francisco ninth, but Motte fanned Brandon Crawford and induced a fly out from Aubrey Huff before striking out Emmanuel Burriss to end the game.
Earlier, St. Louis opened the scoring with a run in its first at-bat. Furcal led off with a single up the middle and Tyler Greene followed with a double to put runners on second and third with no outs. After Matt Holliday lined out, Craig grounded into a fielder's choice, which allowed Furcal to score.
San Francisco produced a run in the sixth to tie the game. Gregor Blanco beat out a bunt single to start the inning and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by Charlie Culberson. Angel Pagan then reached on an infield hit to put Giants on first and third with one down and Posey slapped a single back up the middle to plate Blanco.
Entering Wednesday, Bumgarner had won each of his last eight home starts...17 of the Giants' first 18 games at AT&T Park have been decided by three runs or fewer...San Francisco fell to 4-12 when scoring fewer than four runs in a game this season...Bumgarner fell to 2-1 in three career starts against the Cardinals...The Giants finished 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position and stranded eight...Cardinals outfielder Carlos Beltran missed his third straight game due to right knee discomfort.
- ST. LOUIS: 4
SAN FRANCISCO: 1
May 17 1:01 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Skip Schumaker doubled to left scored Jaime Garcia and Rafael Furcal. Runner on second with one out and Matt Holliday due up.
Cardinals 4, Giants 1 Top 8, 1 OutMay 17 12:20 AM
- David Freese two-out, solo Home Run (8) to left. Shane Robinson due up.
Cardinals 2, Giants 1 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 16 11:58 PM
- Buster Posey singled to center scored Gregor Blanco. On the play, Angel Pagan advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Brett Pill due up.
Cardinals 1, Giants 1 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 16 11:47 PM
- Allen Craig grounded into a fielder's choice, short to third scored Rafael Furcal. On the play, Tyler Greene was tagged out between second and third. Runner on first with two outs and Lance Berkman due up.
Cardinals 1, Giants 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 16 10:25 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 16 10:17 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21