Giants down CardinalsMay 18, 2012 - 3:17 AM
Emmanuel Burriss hit a game-tying sacrifice fly in the sixth inning and San Francisco went ahead for good later in the frame when Belt scored on a throwing error by Cardinals third baseman David Freese.
Matt Cain (3-2) allowed four runs over six innings to record the win for the Giants, who halted a two-game skid and earned a split in the brief series.
"The guys showed more patience," San Francisco manager Bruce Bochy said of his team's approach at the plate. "We swung the bats well."
Matt Holliday had a two-run homer and a sac fly for the Cardinals, losers of five of their last seven games overall.
Adam Wainwright (2-5) was charged with five runs -- two earned -- on six hits and four walks over 5 2/3 innings.
Holliday's homer to left came on the heels of Matt Carpenter's leadoff single and gave the Cardinals a 4-3 lead in the third inning.
The Giants had runners at second and third with no outs in the sixth after a single by Angel Pagan and a double by Belt. Burriss plated the tying run with a sacrifice fly to left field and Wainwright was relieved after retiring Charlie Culberson.
Pinch-hitter Aubrey Huff then hit a grounder to third base off of Victor Marte. Freese, who had an RBI sac fly in the first, fielded the ball cleanly but his throw to first base was short and wide, allowing Belt to score from second.
In the seventh, Belt hit an RBI double and Pagan crossed the plate on Culberson's bases-loaded groundout for a 7-4 lead.
Yadier Molina hit a solo homer for St. Louis in the eighth but Santiago Casilla tossed a 1-2-3 ninth to seal the win for San Francisco win.
Holliday's sac fly also came in the first inning, as the Cardinals grabbed a 2-0 lead, but the Giants got an RBI single from Buster Posey in the bottom half and pushed a pair across in the second.
Posey drove home Crawford, who doubled and advanced to third on an error by Carpenter. An inning later, Burriss reached on an error by first baseman Lance Berkman and Wainwright walked Gregor Blanco before allowing him to advance on a wild pitch. Crawford delivered a two-out, two-run single for a 3-2 lead.
"The first two innings (I had) two outs with guys on third and I didn't get out of it unscathed either time," said Wainwright. "That's something I pride myself on in my career and usually I'm pretty tough in that situation."
Casilla picked up his ninth save of the season...Pagan went 1-for2 and has hit safely in 28 of his last 29 games...Wainwright fell to 1-4 all-time at AT&T Park.
- ST. LOUIS: 5
SAN FRANCISCO: 7
May 17 6:46 PM
- Yadier Molina one-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Daniel Descalso due up.
Cardinals 5, Giants 7 Top 8, 1 OutMay 17 6:25 PM
- Charles Culberson grounded into a fielder's choice, second unassisted scoring Angel Pagan with two out. On the play, Emmanuel Burriss out at second abd Brandon Belt advances to third. Runners on first and third with Jeremy Affeldt due up.
Cardinals 4, Giants 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 17 6:17 PM
- Brandon Belt double to center scored Buster Posey with one out. On the play, Angel Pagan advances to third. Runners on second and third with Emmanuel Burriss due up.
Cardinals 4, Giants 6 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 17 6:10 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Aubrey Huff reached first on David Freese's throwing error scoring Brandon Belt with two out. Runner on second and Gregor Blanco due up.
Cardinals 4, Giants 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 17 5:48 PM
- Emmanuel Burriss sacrifice fly to left scored Angel Pagan with one out. Runner on second and Charles Culberson due up.
Cardinals 4, Giants 4 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 17 5:42 PM
- Matt Holliday none-out, two-run Home Run (8) to left scored Matt Carpenter. Lance Berkman due up.
Cardinals 4, Giants 3 Top 3, 0 OutsMay 17 4:38 PM
- Brandon Crawford single to left scored Emmanuel Burriss and Gregor Blanco with two out. Runner on first and Melky Cabrera due up.
Cardinals 2, Giants 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 17 4:35 PM
- Buster Posey single to right scored Brandon Crawford with two out. Runner on first and Angel Pagan due up.
Cardinals 2, Giants 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 17 4:06 PM
- David Freese sacrifice fly to right scored Matt Carpenter with two out. On the play, Lance Berkman advances to third. Runner on third and Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 2, Giants 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 17 3:56 PM
- Matt Holliday sacrifice fly to center scored Skip Schumaker with one out. Runner on first and Lance Berkman due up.
Cardinals 1, Giants 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 17 3:51 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 17 3:45 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21