Giants down RangersJun 10, 2012 - 1:00 AM
San Francisco was shut out by Matt Harrison Friday night in the opener of this three-game interleague series, but Vogelsong (5-2) responded with an impressive outing.
He lasted 7 2/3 innings, gave up three hits, including an eighth-inning solo homer to Mitch Moreland, and won his fifth straight decision. At the plate, he singled and scored a run.
"That's a tough lineup out there and what a job he did," said San Francisco manager Bruce Bochy. "He went out there and pitched great and got us into the eighth inning. He's been consistent all year doing that."
Pablo Sandoval, who was reinstated from the disabled list prior to the game, Angel Pagan and Nate Schierholtz each had an RBI for the Giants, winners in 16 of their last 23 games overall.
Scott Feldman (0-5) was charged with three runs -- two earned -- on four hits over 5 1/3 innings. He walked one, struck out seven, and dropped his fifth straight start.
The Rangers, who committed several costly errors, have lost eight of their last 11 games.
"Throughout the whole lineup everyone is struggling right now," said Texas manager Ron Washington. "All we can do is keep working and keep doing what we know we have to do and it will come back around. Right now I really don't have an answer."
Vogelsong's base hit came in the third inning and was followed by Gregor Blanco's single, which placed runners at the corners with one down. Theriot then hit a slow grounder towards second base.
Ian Kinsler fielded the ball and initially attempted to tag Blanco, who stopped between first and second. Unable to reach Blanco, Kinsler went to first, but his high throw sailed past Michael Young, allowing Vogelsong to score.
Josh Hamilton was charged with an error in the fifth inning when he lost Brandon Crawford's leadoff fly to shallow left field in the sun. Crawford reached second on the play and scored on Theriot's two-out base hit to right.
An inning later, Pagan drew a walk and crossed the plate when Schierholtz tripled off the brick facade in right.
Blanco singled in the seventh, moved to third base on an errant pickoff attempt by Koji Uehara, and scored on Sandoval's two-out single up the middle. Buster Posey and Pagan followed with consecutive hits to plate Sandoval.
Mike Napoli capped the scoring with a two-out homer in the ninth.
Sandoval had surgery on May 4 to repair a broken hamate bone in his right hand. Also on Saturday, the Giants optioned pitcher Steve Edlefsen to Triple-A Fresno and recalled pitcher George Kontos from the same club...The Giants have gone a franchise record-tying 15 straight home games without a homer. They also reached the dubious mark from Sept. 4-Oct. 3, 1980.
- TEXAS: 2
SAN FRANCISCO: 5
Jun 9 7:07 PM
- Mike Napoli two-out, solo Home Run (11) to left. Craig Gentry due up.
Rangers 2, Giants 5 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 9 7:01 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Mitch Moreland lead-off Home Run (9) to right. Ian Kinsler due up.
Rangers 1, Giants 5 Top 8, 0 OutsJun 9 6:34 PM
- Brandon Belt grounded out to first to end the inning.
Rangers 0, Giants 5 End 7Jun 9 6:30 PM
- Pablo Sandoval single to center scored Gregor Blanco with two out. Runner on first and Buster Posey due up.
Rangers 0, Giants 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 9 6:26 PM
- Brandon Crawford lined out to short to end the inning.
Rangers 0, Giants 3 End 6Jun 9 6:08 PM
- Ryan Theriot stole second. Runner on second with two outs and Pablo Sandoval at the plate.
Rangers 0, Giants 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 9 5:43 PM
- Ryan Theriot reached first on Ian Kinsler's throwing error scored Ryan Vogelsong with one out. On the play, Gregor Blanco advances to second. Runners on first and second and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Rangers 0, Giants 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 9 5:03 PM
- TEXAS: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 9 4:06 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22