Rays finish off sweep of reeling JaysAug 9, 2012 - 8:52 PM St. Petersburg, FL (Sports Network) - Jose Lobaton drove in three runs and Matt Moore tossed six strong innings, as Tampa Bay dispatched Toronto, 7-1, to sweep a three-game series.
Evan Longoria totaled three hits and two RBI for the Rays, who recovered nicely from dropping two of three at home to Baltimore over the weekend.
Moore (9-7) gave up a run on two hits, walked two and fanned six for the win.
Henderson Alvarez (7-9) was tagged in defeat for 11 hits and six runs -- four earned -- over 4 2/3 frames for the Blue Jays, who stumbled to their ninth loss in 11 outings.
Tampa took the lead for good in the second on Lobaton's two-run single and an RBI fielder's choice from Upton to make it 3-1.
It was 4-1 in the third when Ryan Roberts singled in Zobrist, who reached on a single after Evan Longoria led off with a base hit. Though he was erased on a Jeff Keppinger fielder's choice after Carlos Pena walked, Zobrist made it to third before scoring.
In the fourth, B.J. Upton singled with one out, moved up a base on a balk and scored on a Longoria base hit.
Pena reached on an infield hit to start the fifth, Keppinger followed with a base hit and two batters later, Lobaton's single made it a 6-1 contest.
Tampa's final run of the contest occurred in the eighth, as Casey Janssen hit Matt Joyce with two down and Longoria doubled him home.
Toronto picked up a run in the first. Rajai Davis hit a leadoff double and stole third, then Edwin Encarnacion walked and a Moore balk plated Davis.
The Rays completed their first sweep since June 8-10 at Miami and notched their first three-game winning streak since winning four in a row from June 7-10...Tampa also picked up its first sweep at home since April 30-May 3 against Seattle, which was a four-gamer...Prior to the game, the Blue Jays announced that infielder Brett Lawrie is headed to the 15-day disabled list because of a strained right oblique muscle.
- TORONTO: 1
TAMPA BAY: 7
Aug 9 4:06 PM
- Evan Longoria double to left scored Matt Joyce. Runner on second with two outs and Ben Zobrist due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 9 3:51 PM
- Jose Lobaton single to right scored Carlos Pena. On the play, Jeff Keppinger thrown out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Sam Fuld due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 9 2:55 PM
- Evan Longoria single to left scored B.J. Upton. Runner on first with two outs and Ben Zobrist due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 9 2:35 PM
- Ryan Roberts single to center scored Ben Zobrist. On the play, Jeff Keppinger advances to second and Carlos Pena advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Jose Lobaton due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 4 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 9 2:17 PM
- B.J. Upton grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Ryan Roberts. On the play, Sam Fuld out at second Jose Lobaton advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Matt Joyce due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 9 1:58 PM
- Jose Lobaton single to left scored Ben Zobrist and Jeff Keppinger. On the play, Ryan Roberts advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Sam Fuld due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 2 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 9 1:53 PM
- Matt Moore's balk scored Rajai Davis. On the play, Edwin Encarnacion advances to second on the balk. Runner on second with one out and Yunel Escobar at the plate.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 9 1:22 PM
- TORONTO: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 9 1:12 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21