Rays belt 4 HRs, rout Blue JaysSep 23, 2012 - 3:21 AM
Desmond Jennings went 3-for-3 with a solo homer and scored four times. Jose Molina added three hits, including a solo homer. B.J. Upton also went deep, as the Rays won their fourth in a row, although time is dwindling for their playoff chances.
With 10 contests remaining, Tampa Bay is 3 1/2 games behind Oakland for the second wild card spot.
Adam Lind knocked in three runs for the Blue Jays, losers of five straight contests.
The Rays have scored 43 times during their winning streak, the best run production over a four-game span in club history.
Burke Badenhop (3-2) replaced Rays starter Matt Moore after just 2 2/3 innings and recorded four outs to get the win.
Brandon Morrow (8-7) was touched for five runs over four innings, and Brad Lincoln imploded in the fifth by giving up six hits and as many runs while getting only two outs.
Edwin Encarnacion and Lind each drove in a run in the top of the first, but Ben Francisco walked with the bases full in the bottom half, and the Rays went ahead in the second when Longoria homered to left field.
Jennings went deep to left in the fourth before Lind made it a 5-4 game when his sinking triple went by a sliding Jennings. Anthony Gose and Brett Lawrie scored.
Tampa Bay then exploded for six runs in its half of the fifth. Francisco doubled down the left field line to drive in Jeff Keppinger before scoring on a bloop single by Ryan Roberts. Molina and Upton tacked on two-run homers for an 11-4 cushion.
Adeiny Hechavarria had an RBI single in the eighth inning.
The teams combined to leave 18 men on base ... The Rays lead the season series, 13-4, having won the last four games. That includes a 7-1 mark at Tropicana Field this season. The Blue Jays have lost 17 straight series at Tampa Bay ... Blue Jays shortstop Yunel Escobar returned from a three-game suspension and went 0-for-4. Escobar was penalized for displaying a gay slur written in Spanish on eye black during a recent game.
- TORONTO: 5
TAMPA BAY: 11
Sep 22 10:37 PM
- Anthony Gose grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short. On the play, Adeiny Hechavarria out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Brett Lawrie due up.
Blue Jays 5, Rays 11 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 22 10:30 PM
- B.J. Upton two-run Home Run (25) to left scored Desmond Jennings with two outs. Evan Longoria due up.
Blue Jays 4, Rays 11 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 22 9:06 PM
- Desmond Jennings singled to right. Runner on first with two outs and B.J. Upton due up.
Blue Jays 4, Rays 9 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 22 9:04 PM
- Ben Francisco double to left scored Jeff Keppinger with one out. Runner on second and Matt Joyce due up.
Blue Jays 4, Rays 6 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 22 8:58 PM
- Yunel Escobar fouled out to right to end the inning.
Blue Jays 4, Rays 5 Mid 5Sep 22 8:52 PM
- Desmond Jennings solo Home Run (13) to left with one out. B.J. Upton due up.
Blue Jays 2, Rays 5 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 22 8:36 PM
- Rajai Davis stole second. Runner on second with one out and Edwin Encarnacion at the plate.
Blue Jays 2, Rays 4 Top 3, 1 OutSep 22 8:15 PM
- Ben Francisco walked, Desmond Jennings scored on the play with two outs. Bases loaded and Matt Joyce due up.
Blue Jays 2, Rays 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 22 7:41 PM
- Yunel Escobar lined out to right. Runner on first with two outs and Moises Sierra due up.
Blue Jays 2, Rays 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 22 7:20 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion single to left scored Brett Lawrie with no outs. On the play, Rajai Davis advances to third. Runners on first and third and Adam Lind due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 22 7:17 PM
- TORONTO: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 22 7:13 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21