Rays finish off sweep of floundering JaysSep 24, 2012 - 6:01 AM
Evan Longoria went 2-for-4 with two RBI for the Rays, who have scored 46 runs during a five-game winning streak.
Hellickson (9-10) gave up five hits while striking out six and walking two for Tampa Bay, which remained 3 1/2 games behind Oakland for the second AL wild card spot.
Chad Jenkins (0-2), making his first career start, allowed one run on two hits over five innings for the Blue Jays, who have lost six straight. He made 10 relief appearances prior to Sunday's start.
"A two-out hit was elusive, and in the end we're sitting there with a goose egg on the board," Blue Jays manager John Farrell said.
Upton homered to left in the first to give the Rays an early 1-0 lead.
Toronto wasted a golden scoring opportunity in the sixth. Edwin Encarnacion singled, Adam Lind walked and Yunel Escobar walked to load the bases with two outs. Jake McGee took over for Hellickson and got Kelly Johnson looking at strike three to end the threat.
The Blue Jays put a runner on third with two outs in the seventh. This time around, J.P. Howell made a nice throw to first on Colby Rasmus' groundout.
"That's an impossible play," Rays manager Joe Maddon said of Howell's throw. "He makes a great pitch, full swing, Rasmus runs well, and he makes that play."
Tampa Bay tacked on two insurance runs in the eighth. Desmond Jennings singled and Ben Zobrist was intentionally walked. Longoria followed with a two-run double to right-center field.
Fernando Rodney worked around a leadoff single in the ninth to pick up his 44th save of the season.
Tampa Bay went 14-4 against the Blue Jays this season ... Hellickson won for the first time since Aug. 20.
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21