Giants down Mets to sweep doubleheaderApr 24, 2012 - 4:47 AM
San Francisco won the opener, 6-1, behind five solid innings from Tim Lincecum and home runs from Nate Schierholtz and Buster Posey.
Bumgarner (3-1) was charged with one run, struck out four and walked two for the Giants, who took three of four from the Mets in this series and have won eight of their last 11 overall.
Pablo Sandoval hit a two-run homer in the first inning, Sanchez finished with three RBI and Gregor Blanco knocked in a pair.
"It's not easy to win a doubleheader. The guys played well," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "It's good to get a doubleheader, especially in New York."
Dillon Gee (1-2) gave up seven runs on 12 hits over 6 2/3 innings in the loss, while Daniel Murphy and Justin Turner had an RBI apiece for New York, which has dropped six of its last eight games.
"It was a miserable day," Mets outfielder Jason Bay said. "It's very disappointing."
Blanco began the game with a single before Sandoval gave the Giants the early lead with a one-out, upper-deck blast to right. Schierholtz, who had a three- run homer in the opener, followed with a triple and scored on Sanchez's sac fly, making it 3-0.
There were two on and two down in the fourth when Blanco contributed again, lifting a fly ball to deep left, which bounced out of the glove of a diving Bay. Brett Pill and Emmanuel Burriss scored on the play -- which was ruled a double.
The Mets made it 5-1 in the home half when Turner singled David Wright home from second, but Bumgarner didn't allow a hit over the next three innings.
Sanchez followed a Sandoval walk with a two-out homer to right in the seventh and Javier Lopez relieved Bumgarner to start the eighth.
New York quickly took advantage, placing runners at the corners courtesy of Lucas Duda's leadoff double and Ruben Tejada's single. Murphy scored Duda with a sac fly before Sanchez issued consecutive walks to load the bases.
But Jordany Valdespin popped out to the infield against Clay Hensley, and Ike Davis, who twice made the final out with bases loaded in the opener, struck out looking to end the inning.
Sandoval has hit safely in all 16 games this season, which ties the club- record in the San Francisco-era (since 1958) for the longest hit streak to begin a season. He is tied with Hall of Famer Willie Mays...It was Bumgarner's first career start against the Mets.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 7
NEW YORK: 2
Apr 23 10:52 PM
- David Wright walked. Runners on first and second with one out and Mike Baxter due up.
Giants 7, Mets 2 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 23 10:25 PM
- Hector Sanchez two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Pablo Sandoval. Brett Pill is due up.
Giants 7, Mets 1 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 23 9:57 PM
- Justin Turner singled to center scoring David Wright. On the play, Jason Bay advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Kirk Nieuwenhuis due up.
Giants 5, Mets 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 23 9:09 PM
- Gregor Blanco doubled to left scoring Brett Pill and Emmanuel Burriss. Runner on second with two outs and Melky Cabrera due up.
Giants 5, Mets 0 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 23 8:57 PM
- Hector Sanchez sacrifice fly to center scored Nate Schierholtz. None on with two outs and Brett Pill due up.
Giants 3, Mets 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 23 8:10 PM
- Pablo Sandoval one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored Gregor Blanco. Nate Schierholtz is due up.
Giants 2, Mets 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 23 8:08 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 23 8:01 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22