Joyce homers in ninth to save RaysApr 4, 2013 - 6:03 AM
Shelley Duncan hit a three-run homer in the sixth inning, Ben Zobrist went 2- for-4 with two RBI and James Loney had a pinch-hit RBI double for the Rays, who lost their first game of the season.
"We responded well tonight, really proud of our guys," Rays manager Joe Maddon said.
Rays starter Jeremy Hellickson gave up five runs on eight hits in 6 1/3 innings, but did not earn the win.
Chris Davis was a perfect 4-for-4 with a three-run home run, two doubles and four RBI for the Orioles. Nate McLouth, Matt Wieters and Brian Roberts knocked in a run apiece in the setback.
"Chris Davis continues to swing the bat well, got off to a good start," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. "We just couldn't hold them down."
Orioles starter Wei-Yin Chen allowed two runs on seven hits over 5 2/3 innings.
Davis hit the home run on a full count with two outs in the first inning after singles by Nick Markakis and Adam Jones.
However, neither team scored until the sixth, when Davis hit a single to Manny Machado. Machado hit a double to leadoff the inning and advanced to third after a fly out by Markakis, but Jones grounded out to shortstop.
The Rays came back in the bottom of the inning. Ben Zobrist hit a two-out single, bringing Desmond Jennings home. Tampa Bay wasn't done though. Chen was replaced by Luis Ayala following the score, but he allowed a single to Longoria followed by Duncan's three-run shot to tie the game at 4-4.
In the seventh, Hellickson walked Nolan Reimold and gave up a single to Brian Roberts with one out. McLouth was up next and he singled to right, allowing Reimold to score from second and the Orioles retook the lead, 5-4. Hellickson was then taken out and Kyle Farnsworth came in to relieve. He forced Machado into a double play to end the inning.
In the bottom of the inning, Strop replaced Ayala. Joyce reached first with one out on a bunt and Kelly Johnson singled into center field, allowing Joyce to make it to third. On a 2-2 count with Jennings batting, Strop threw a wild pitch, allowing Joyce to score.
After Jennings struck out, Loney pinch-hit for Sean Rodriguez and knocked a double on an 0-2 pitch, scoring Johnson. Zobrist was next and delivered a single, bringing Loney home, and the Rays led 7-5.
Wieters hit a two-out RBI single off Joel Peralta in the eighth, after Davis doubled.
Fernando Rodney (1-0) came in the ninth, but walked Reimold, then allowed Roberts a double to left, allowing Reimold to score. McLouth hit a sacrifice to first and Roberts reached third, but Machado and Markakis both grounded out to shortstop Yunel Escobar to end the inning.
Tommy Hunter (0-1) pitched for the Orioles in the bottom of the inning. Joyce, leading off in the inning, homered to right on a 3-1 pitch to end the game.
Davis leads MLB with seven RBI this season ... Hellickson required 94 pitches in his outing while Chen needed 84 ... The Rays were 4-of-7 with runners in socring position, while the Orioles were 4-of-11.
- BALTIMORE: 7
TAMPA BAY: 8
Apr 3 10:15 PM
- Matt Joyce lead-off Home Run (1) to right to end the game.
Orioles 7, Rays 8 Bot 9, 0 OutsApr 3 10:09 PM
- Brian Roberts double to left scored Nolan Reimold with none out. Runner on second and Nate McLouth due up.
Orioles 7, Rays 7 Top 9, 0 OutsApr 3 9:59 PM
- Matt Wieters single to left scored Chris Davis with two outs. Runner on first and J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 6, Rays 7 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 3 9:43 PM
- Ben Zobrist single to center scored James Loney with two outs. Runner on first and Evan Longoria due up.
Orioles 5, Rays 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 3 9:30 PM
- Pinch-Hitter James Loney double to left scored Kelly Johnson with two outs. Runner on second and Ben Zobrist due up.
Orioles 5, Rays 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 3 9:28 PM
- Matt Joyce scores on a wild pitch. Kelly Johnson advances to second on a wild pitch. Runner on second with one out and Desmond Jennings at the plate.
Orioles 5, Rays 5 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 3 9:26 PM
- Nate McLouth single to right scored Nolan Reimold with one out. On the play, Brian Roberts advances to third. Runners on first and third and Manny Machado due up.
Orioles 5, Rays 4 Top 7, 1 OutApr 3 9:14 PM
- Shelley Duncan two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Ben Zobrist and Evan Longoria. Yunel Escobar due up.
Orioles 4, Rays 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 3 8:59 PM
- Ben Zobrist single to left scored Desmond Jennings with two outs. Runner on first and Evan Longoria due up.
Orioles 4, Rays 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 3 8:52 PM
- Chris Davis single to right scored Manny Machado with two outs. Runner on first and Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 4, Rays 0 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 3 8:39 PM
- Chris Davis two-out, three-run Home Run (2) to left center scored Nick Markakis and Adam Jones. Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 3, Rays 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 3 7:21 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 3 7:12 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21