Red Sox beat Jays in Farrell's return to TorontoApr 6, 2013 - 6:44 AM
The 50-year-old Farrell led the Blue Jays to a 73-89 mark in 2012 and 154-170 record in two seasons at the helm, but bolted for the vacant BoSox post in late October.
Will Middlebrooks added an insurance homer, while Jacoby Ellsbury and Pedro Ciriaco each knocked in a run for the Red Sox, who had won two of three in the Bronx to begin 2013.
Junichi Tazawa (1-0) allowed a run in the seventh but picked up the win.
Jose Reyes finished a triple shy of the cycle, going 4-for-5 with a solo homer and two RBI for the Blue Jays, losers in three of four to start the year. Mark DeRosa also went deep and knocked in the other two runs.
"I know I had a good game, but we lost," said Reyes. "We're here to win."
Esmil Rogers (0-1) was charged with the deciding run while recording just two outs in the eighth.
Rogers came on with one down in the deciding frame and walked pinch-hitter Jonny Gomes, then served up a double to Dustin Pedroia. Napoli then grounded to third, but Gomes scored the go-ahead run.
Andrew Bailey stranded runners on the corners in the home eighth, then Middlebrooks began the ninth with a shot to left off Jeremy Jeffress for a 6-4 game.
"It was just a well played game all the way around," said Farrell. "We had a number of opportunities, as did they. Hard fought ball game."
Joel Hanrahan walked Melky Cabrera with two down, but ended the game by inducing a groundout from Edwin Encarnacion to record his second save.
Ellsbury's second-inning single put the Sox on the board. Shane Victorino came home on the hit, after reaching on a one-out single, advancing on Jackie Bradley's hit and going to third after Jose Iglesias was plunked.
Rajai Davis singled in the home half, Colby Rasmus doubled and a DeRosa sacrifice fly evened the score.
Boston took a 2-1 lead in the fourth. A pair of throwing errors from Toronto second baseman Emilio Bonifacio put Victorino and Bradley on base, then pinch- hitter Ciriaco plated the former.
Napoli's two-run shot in the fifth upped the Red Sox edged to 4-1, but DeRosa countered with a solo homer to start the home half and after Maicer Izturis singled, Reyes doubled him home for a one-run margin.
Reyes, who came up favoring his groin after being tagged out trying to reach third, remained in the game, and his one-out blast to right tied the contest in the seventh.
Red Sox starter Felix Doubront gave up three runs on nine hits with six strikeouts over five-plus innings ... Blue Jays starter Josh Johnson was charged with nine hits and four runs -- three earned -- over six full frames ... The Jays played without outfielder Jose Bautista, who is listed as day-to- day with an injured ankle ... Boston shortstop Iglesias left the game in the third inning with a bruised right arm ... DeRosa's last homer came on Apr. 5, 2010, with San Francisco against Houston.
- BOSTON: 6
Apr 5 10:44 PM
- Will Middlebrooks lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Shane Victorino due up.
Red Sox 6, Blue Jays 4 Top 9, 0 OutsApr 5 10:19 PM
- Mike Napoli grounded out third to first, scoring Jonny Gomes with two outs. Runner on second and Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Red Sox 5, Blue Jays 4 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 5 9:59 PM
- Jose Reyes one-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Emilio Bonifacio due up.
Red Sox 4, Blue Jays 4 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 5 9:39 PM
- Jose Reyes doubled to left, scoring Maicer Izturis with none out. On the play, Reyes out at third, left to third. None on with one out and Emilio Bonifacio due up.
Red Sox 4, Blue Jays 3 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 5 8:47 PM
- Mark DeRosa lead-off Home Run (1) to center. Maicer Izturis due up.
Red Sox 4, Blue Jays 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsApr 5 8:42 PM
- Mike Napoli none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Dustin Pedroia. Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Red Sox 4, Blue Jays 1 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 5 8:34 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Pedro Ciriaco singled to left, scoring Shane Victorino with one out. On the play, Jackie Bradley Jr. advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 2, Blue Jays 1 Top 4, 1 OutApr 5 8:18 PM
- Mark DeRosa sacrifice fly to right, scoring Rajai Davis with two outs. Runner on second and Maicer Izturis due up.
Red Sox 1, Blue Jays 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 5 7:49 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury singled to left, scoring Shane Victorino with one out. On the play, Jose Iglesias advances to second and Jackie Bradley Jr. advances to third. Bases loaded and Daniel Nava due up.
Red Sox 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 5 7:38 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 5 7:08 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21