Hafner homers against former club, Yanks down IndiansApr 9, 2013 - 1:39 AM
Hafner, who spent the previous 10 years with the Indians, received a nice pregame ovation from the fans before tormenting his old club with a first- inning blast off Cleveland starter Ubaldo Jimenez (0-1). He then broke a 3-3 tie with an RBI single in the third and also drew two walks.
"It was nice to come here and have a good game and help contribute to a win," Hafner said.
Robinson Cano clubbed two solo homers while going 3-for-4 with a walk and four runs scored for the Yankees, who have won two games in a row for the first time this season, improving their record to 3-4.
New York starter Hiroki Kuroda (1-1) overcame a shaky first inning to pitch into the sixth. Kuroda lasted just 1 1/3 innings in his first start of the season against Boston after suffering a bruised right middle finger when he tried to grab a Shane Victorino liner.
Jimenez allowed seven runs on seven hits and three walks in 4 1/3 innings for Cleveland, which went 3-3 on its season-opening road trip.
"Today was one of those days where I thought he fought his mechanics a little bit," Cleveland manager Terry Francona said about Jimenez.
The Indians answered Hafner's homer to center field with three runs of their own in the bottom of the first.
Michael Bourn led off with a walk and took third when Asdrubal Cabrera's grounder up the middle caromed off the second base bag. Jason Kipnis' sacrifice fly to right field put Cleveland on the board, and back-to-back singles by former Yankee Nick Swisher and Michael Brantley scored Cabrera.
After catcher Carlos Santana drew a walk to load the bases, Mark Reynolds tied the game with a sac fly to left.
The Yankees, however, scored in five straight frames from the third to go up 11-3.
New York regained the lead when Hafner drove home Cano, who led off the third with a double. Cano entered Monday's contest, the opener of a four-game set, without an extra-base hit this season.
Brett Gardner plated Chris Stewart with a two-out single in the fourth, then Cano homered to left-center to begin the fifth.
A one-out walk to Hafner later in the inning prompted a pitching change. Matt Albers took over on the mound and gave up hits to the first two batters he faced, with Ichiro Suzuki's single knocking in Hafner.
Cano went deep again with two outs in the sixth before the Yankees pushed three more runs across in the seventh.
The Indians failed to score after loading the bases in the bottom of the seventh, but Mike Aviles' two-run homer highlighted Cleveland's three-run eighth.
Hafner's home run was his 100th at Progressive Field ... Santana left the game in the ninth after taking a Chris Perez pitch off his left wrist ... Kuroda gave up three runs on five hits, while walking four and striking out six in 5 1/3 innings ... The Indians have lost five straight home openers ... The Yankees took five of six from the Indians last season.
- NEW YORK: 11
Apr 8 8:00 PM
- Michael Bourn scored on a Shawn Kelley wild pitch with two outs. None on and Ryan Raburn at the plate.
Yankees 11, Indians 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 8 7:30 PM
- Mike Aviles two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Mark Reynolds. Michael Bourn due up.
Yankees 11, Indians 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 8 7:23 PM
- Eduardo Nunez sacrifice fly to left, scoring Ichiro Suzuki with one out. None on and Lyle Overbay due up.
Yankees 11, Indians 3 Top 7, 1 OutApr 8 6:45 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki advances to third and Vernon Wells scored on a Rich Hill wild pitch with none out. Runner on third and Eduardo Nunez at the plate.
Yankees 10, Indians 3 Top 7, 0 OutsApr 8 6:45 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki infield single to short. On the play, Asdrubal Cabrera's throwing error scored Travis Hafner with none out. On the play, Vernon Wells advances to third, Suzuki advances to second. Runners on second and third and Eduardo Nunez due up.
Yankees 9, Indians 3 Top 7, 0 OutsApr 8 6:44 PM
- Robinson Cano two-out, solo Home Run 2 (2) to center. Kevin Youkilis due up.
Yankees 8, Indians 3 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 8 6:18 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki singled to right, scoring Travis Hafner with one out. On the play, Vernon Wells advances to second. Runners on first and second and Eduardo Nunez due up.
Yankees 7, Indians 3 Top 5, 1 OutApr 8 6:02 PM
- Robinson Cano lead-off Home Run (1) to left center. Kevin Youkilis due up.
Yankees 6, Indians 3 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 8 5:52 PM
- Brett Gardner singled to center, scoring Chris Stewart with two outs. Runner on first and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 5, Indians 3 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 8 5:36 PM
- Travis Hafner singled to center, scoring Robinson Cano with one out. Runner on first and Vernon Wells due up.
Yankees 4, Indians 3 Top 3, 1 OutApr 8 5:07 PM
- Mark Reynolds sacrifice fly to left, scoring Nick Swisher with two outs. Runners on first and second and Lonnie Chisenhall due up.
Yankees 3, Indians 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 8 4:43 PM
- Michael Brantley singled to right, scoring Asdrubal Cabrera with one out. On the play, Nick Swisher advances to third. Runners on first and third and Carlos Santana due up.
Yankees 3, Indians 2 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 8 4:37 PM
- Jason Kipnis sacrifice fly to right, scoring Michael Bourn with one out. Runner on first and Nick Swisher due up.
Yankees 3, Indians 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 8 4:34 PM
- Travis Hafner one-out, three-run Home Run (2) to center scored Robinson Cano and Kevin Youkilis. Vernon Wells due up.
Yankees 3, Indians 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 8 4:16 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 8 4:09 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21