Jones, Orioles edge Red SoxApr 12, 2013 - 6:29 AM
Jones went 2-for-5 with two RBI, while Chris Davis continued his hot start with a solo homer for the Orioles, who had lost three one-run games this season after setting an MLB record with a 29-9 mark last year in one-run games.
Manny Machado, a day after clubbing a game-winning homer to cap Baltimore's five-run ninth inning, went 3-for-4 with two runs scored.
Mike Napoli and Dustin Pedroia each drove in a run for Boston, which was trying to start a season with three straight series wins for the first time since 1952.
Baltimore's Chris Tillman didn't make it out of the fourth inning in his season debut last week and only went 5 1/3 frames Thursday. He was charged with two runs on six hits and was pulled with two runners on in the sixth.
Brian Matusz (1-0) struck out Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Stephen Drew to escape the jam unscathed, and the Orioles broke a 2-2 tie with a two-out rally in the seventh.
Machado hit a single off Clayton Mortensen (0-1) to keep the inning alive, and Andrew Miller walked the only batter he faced, Nick Markakis. Jones then greeted Koji Uehara with a sharp line drive to left field, and Machado easily scored on the double
"We made the move and unfortunately it didn't work out," Red Sox manager John Farrell said when asked about his bullpen decisions.
Pedro Strop and Darren O'Day each pitched an inning of relief for Baltimore before Jim Johnson survived a one-out single in the ninth to post his fourth save of the season.
"We're just trying to get in a rhythm," Johnson said. "It's going to be a dog fight all the way through."
Alfredo Aceves, in his first start since June 21, 2011, went five innings for Boston and allowed two runs on six hits and three walks. The middle-reliever was making a spot start for the injured John Lackey.
The right-hander was behind in the count, 3-0, to Davis in the second inning with no one on and grooved a fastball over the middle of the plate. Davis was given the green light and crushed it into the center field seats for his six home run already this year.
Tillman gave up a leadoff walk in the third and struck out the next two before three straight singles gave the Red Sox the lead. Shane Victorino singled to put runners on the corners, and Pedroia and Napoli each drove in a run with base hits.
The Orioles left the bases loaded in the fourth inning when Alexi Casilla struck out, but evened things their next at-bat as Jones' two-out single brought home Machado.
Jones and Davis have combined for 29 of the Orioles' 46 RBI this season ... Jones has hit safely in all nine games this year ... The Orioles lost only one of their six series against the Red Sox last year ... Boston pitchers recorded seven strikeouts to end a club record streak of five straight games with double-digit punchouts ... Lackey hit the 15-day disabled list with a biceps strain ... The Orioles open a three-game road series against the New York Yankees on Friday ... Boston hosts the Tampa Bay Rays for four games beginning Friday.
- BALTIMORE: 3
Apr 11 10:25 PM
- Adam Jones doubled in Manny Machado with two outs. On the play, Nick Markakis advances to third. Runners on second and third with Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 3, Red Sox 2 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 11 9:35 PM
- Adam Jones singled in Manny Machado with two out. Runner on first with Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 2, Red Sox 2 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 11 8:47 PM
- Mike Napoli singled in Shane Victorino with two outs. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to third. Runners on first and third with Will Middlebrooks due up.
Orioles 1, Red Sox 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 11 8:09 PM
- Dustin Pedroia singled in Stephen Drew with two outs. On the play, Shane Victorino advances to second. Runners on first and second with Mike Napoli due up.
Orioles 1, Red Sox 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 11 8:04 PM
- Chris Davis one-out, solo Home Run (6) to right center. Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 1, Red Sox 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 11 7:31 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 11 7:10 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21