Orioles power past YankeesApr 14, 2013 - 1:14 AM
J.J. Hardy and Adam Jones also drove in a run each for the Orioles, who dropped a 5-2 decision in Friday's opener. Nate McLouth finished 3-for-5 with two doubles and scored once.
Jason Hammel (2-1) worked six innings for the win, allowing eight hits and three runs -- two earned -- with four strikeouts. Jim Johnson turned in a scoreless ninth for his fifth save.
"He threw a lot of strikes, threw enough breaking balls, got some big outs," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said.
Vernon Wells and Travis Hafner each went deep for the Yankees, while Phil Hughes (0-2) was charged in defeat for nine hits and five runs with two walks over three-plus frames.
"I rely on the fastball and it rides up in the zone sometimes," Hughes said. "I just have to make sure I locate it. When I don't locate it the ball tends to go in the air instead of on the ground."
Lyle Overbay added an RBI single in defeat.
Markakis began the third with his second homer of the year for a 3-2 game. Jones followed with a single, Chris Davis added a double, then a Hardy groundout plated Jones to make it a two-run game.
Reimold kicked off the fourth with his first of the season to put the O's up 5-2, and after McLouth slugged his other two-bagger, Hughes was pulled for David Phelps.
Wells made it a two-run contest again with his homer to left in the bottom of the sixth, but that was all the Bombers could muster.
Brian Matusz turned in a scoreless seventh, Darren O'Day stranded runners on first and second in the eighth, and Johnson retired the side in order in the ninth.
McLouth led off the game with a double and later scored on a Jones fielder's choice grounder. Flaherty made it 2-0 on a one-out solo shot in the second, then a Hafner leadoff blast and an Overbay RBI single tied the game in the home half.
Baltimore won despite failing to score any of its 10 runners in scoring position, while the Yankees plated just 1-of-9 RISP ... Phelps turned in four scoreless relief innings, giving up just one hit and fanning six.
- BALTIMORE: 5
NEW YORK: 3
Apr 13 6:57 PM
- Vernon Wells one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Orioles 5, Yankees 3 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 13 5:58 PM
- Nolan Reimold lead-off Home Run (1) to center. Nate McLouth due up.
Orioles 5, Yankees 2 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 13 5:08 PM
- J.J. Hardy groundout to short scored Adam Jones with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Ryan Flaherty due up.
Orioles 4, Yankees 2 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 13 4:54 PM
- Nick Markakis lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 3, Yankees 2 Top 3, 0 OutsApr 13 4:47 PM
- Lyle Overbay single to center scored Francisco Cervelli with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Jayson Nix due up.
Orioles 2, Yankees 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 13 4:43 PM
- Travis Hafner lead-off Home Run (3) to right center. Vernon Wells due up.
Orioles 2, Yankees 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 13 4:35 PM
- Ryan Flaherty one-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Nolan Reimold due up.
Orioles 2, Yankees 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 13 4:27 PM
- Adam Jones fielder's choice to third scored Nate McLouth with two out. Nick Markakis out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 1, Yankees 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 13 4:14 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 13 4:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21