Red Sox beat Indians once moreApr 18, 2013 - 5:02 AM
Mike Carp finished 3-for-3 with a pair of doubles and an RBI triple for the Red Sox, who have taken the first two in the set and five straight overall.
"I don't want to downplay the events that we just left in Boston, but I think what we've quickly come to see is a group that likes to be around one another," Farrell said of his remade roster. "'Those are encouraging signs."
Boston starter Alfredo Aceves (1-0) pitched into the sixth inning, snagging the decision after allowing seven hits and three runs. Andrew Bailey fanned two in a scoreless ninth to earn his first save.
Nick Swisher hit a two-run homer and Jason Giambi added a solo shot for the Indians, losers in three straight.
Justin Masterson (3-1) was tagged for 11 hits and four runs in defeat despite five strikeouts over five innings.
"It wasn't as fun as the last three I pitched, but over a season when you have 30-plus starts you're going to have some like this," Masterson, an ex-Red Sox pitcher, said. "I kept it close as much as I could."
Picking up where they left off on Tuesday, the Sox exploded for three runs in the first, thanks to a two-run single from Napoli followed by an RBI hit by Nava.
Boston failed to increase its lead with the bases loaded in the second, but picked up one more in the fifth on an RBI triple from Carp and stretched its advantage to 5-0 in the sixth on a Nava base hit which plated Shane Victorino.
Carlos Santana started the home sixth with a walk, then Swisher deposited an Aceves pitch over the wall in center for a 5-2 game. Giambi followed with his first of the year, and Mark Reynolds doubled before Aceves was lifted for Junichi Tazawa, who prevented further damage.
Tazawa turned in a scoreless seventh, and Jacoby Ellsbury led off Boston's half of the eighth with a single before advancing to second on a wild pitch and scoring when Tribe reliever Joe Smith threw wild to first on a Victorino sacrifice bunt.
"The two innings by 'Taz' were probably the difference in the ballgame," said Farrell. "He had some real good stuff, threw a lot of strikes."
Koji Uehara extended his scoreless string with an uneventful eighth, and Bailey finished up by retiring the side in order.
Ellsbury and Victorino also collected three hits, part of Boston's 15-hit barrage ... Uehara has gone 18.0 consecutive scoreless frames dating back to Sept. 1, 2012, setting a personal career-long streak in the majors ... At 42 years of age, Giambi became the third-oldest player to hit a home run in Indians history, after Sam Rice (44) in 1934 and Dave Winfield (43) in 1995 ...As they did for Tuesday's opener, the Red Sox hung a road jersey with "617," Boston's core area code, to honor those hurt and killed in the Marathon bombings on Monday.
- BOSTON: 6
Apr 17 10:29 PM
- Shane Victorino sacrificed, reached first on Joe Smith's throwing error, scored Jacoby Ellsbury. Runner on first with none out and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 6, Indians 3 Top 8, 0 OutsApr 17 10:04 PM
- Jason Giambi lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Mark Reynolds due up.
Red Sox 5, Indians 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 17 9:21 PM
- Nick Swisher none-out, two-run Home Run (2) to center scored Carlos Santana. Jason Giambi due up.
Red Sox 5, Indians 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 17 9:18 PM
- Daniel Nava singled to right scored Shane Victorino. On the play, Mike Napoli advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Will Middlebrooks due up.
Red Sox 5, Indians 0 Top 6, 1 OutApr 17 9:10 PM
- Mike Carp tripled to center scored Stephen Drew. Runner on third with two outs and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 4, Indians 0 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 17 8:41 PM
- Daniel Nava singled to left scored Dustin Pedroia. On the play, Mike Napoli advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Will Middlebrooks due up.
Red Sox 3, Indians 0 Top 1, 0 OutsApr 17 7:13 PM
- Mike Napoli singled to right scored Jacoby Ellsbury and Shane Victorino. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Daniel Nava due up.
Red Sox 2, Indians 0 Top 1, 0 OutsApr 17 7:12 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 17 7:07 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21
- Boston's Kelly has no-bid broken up after 6 2/3 innings May 21