Yankees power past Blue JaysApr 20, 2013 - 5:43 AM
Hafner and Wells both finished with two runs batted in, while Brett Gardner and Robinson Cano added an RBI each for the Yankees, who were coming off an interleague series win against Arizona.
Andy Pettitte (3-0) worked 7 1/3 innings, allowing six hits and three runs while fanning five with one walk.
"It's nice when things go like this," said Yankees manager Joe Girardi. "It puts a lot of pressure on the other club when you can score runs from a lot of different places. That way responsibilty doesn't fall on the same guys every night."
Jose Bautista ripped a two-run homer and J.P. Arencibia added a late solo shot for the Blue Jays, who have now dropped three of four.
Brandon Morrow (0-2) was tagged for nine hits and seven runs -- five earned -- with four strikeouts and a walk over 5 1/3 frames.
"I kept falling behind guys in the first few innings and couldn't get into a good rhythm," said Morrow. "I just couldn't locate my fastball tonight and that hurt me."
The Yanks scored twice in their first turn at the plate on an RBI double from Hafner followed by a Wells groundout. Rajai Davis tripled in the home half, then scored on a Melky Cabrera groundout to cut the lead to 2-1.
In the third, Hafner's one-out solo shot boosted the Bronx Bombers to a 3-1 edge. Wells then singled and Ichiro Suzuki doubled, and a wild throw to the plate by Jays center fielder Colby Rasmus on a fly ball from Eduardo Nunez caused two more runs to cross the plate.
Overbay's one-out blast off the facing of the lower deck in center made it 6-1 in the top of the sixth. Francisco Cervelli's ground-rule double preceded a Gardner triple later in the inning, and the latter was plated by a Cano groundout.
After Cabrera singled with two down in the home half, Bautista's drive off the second deck in center made it 8-3.
Wells began the seventh with a shot that cleared the wall in left, and the only answer for the hosts came on Arencibia's shot with two down in the ninth.
Bautista returned to the lineup after a four-game absence due to a sore back, batting third as the designated hitter ... Toronto Raptors forward Amir Johnson threw out the first pitch ... Cano led New York with three hits, while Hafner, Wells, Suzuki and Cervelli all finished with two apiece ... Arencibia and Brett Lawrie were the lone Blue Jays to collect more than one hit.
- NEW YORK: 9
Apr 19 9:45 PM
- J.P. Arencibia two-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Brett Lawrie due up.
Yankees 9, Blue Jays 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 19 9:44 PM
- Vernon Wells one-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Yankees 9, Blue Jays 3 Top 7, 1 OutApr 19 9:01 PM
- Jose Bautista two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to center scored Melky Cabrera. Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Yankees 8, Blue Jays 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 19 8:52 PM
- Robinson Cano grounded out second to first scored Brett Gardner. None on with two outs and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Yankees 8, Blue Jays 1 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 19 8:43 PM
- Brett Gardner tripled to center scored Francisco Cervelli. Runner on third with one out and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 7, Blue Jays 1 Top 6, 1 OutApr 19 8:41 PM
- Lyle Overbay one-out, solo Home Run (2) to center. Francisco Cervelli due up.
Yankees 6, Blue Jays 1 Top 6, 1 OutApr 19 8:35 PM
- Eduardo Nunez flied out to center. On the play, Colby Rasmus' throwing error scored Vernon Wells and Ichiro Suzuki. None on with two outs and Lyle Overbay due up.
Yankees 5, Blue Jays 1 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 19 7:58 PM
- Travis Hafner one-out, solo Home Run (5) to left. Vernon Wells due up.
Yankees 3, Blue Jays 1 Top 3, 1 OutApr 19 7:48 PM
- Melky Cabrera grounded out second to first scored Rajai Davis. None on with one out and Jose Bautista due up.
Yankees 2, Blue Jays 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 19 7:22 PM
- Vernon Wells grounded out second to first scored Kevin Youkilis. On the play, Travis Hafner advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Yankees 2, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 19 7:16 PM
- Travis Hafner doubled to right scored Robinson Cano. On the play, Kevin Youkilis advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Vernon Wells due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 19 7:14 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 19 7:09 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21