Trumbo's homer in 13th inning lifts Angels over TigersApr 22, 2013 - 6:25 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Mark Trumbo hit a leadoff home run in the bottom of the 13th inning, and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim completed a three-game sweep of the Detroit Tigers with a 4-3 victory on Sunday.
Trumbo sent a 3-1 offering from Phil Coke (0-2) over the left-field wall, lifting the Angels to their fifth straight win at home.
"I was anticipating a changeup and I guessed right. When you fight that hard you want to come out on top," Trumbo said.
The blast made a winner out of Jerome Williams (1-0), who gave up two hits over three scoreless innings.
The Tigers threatened in the ninth, but they wound up leaving the bases loaded for the third time as Ernesto Frieri got Victor Martinez to fly out to left field.
Detroit left the bags full against Los Angeles starter C.J. Wilson in the first and again in the second after plating a run on a fielder's choice.
Albert Pujols' two-run double off Detroit starter Doug Fister highlighted a three-run third inning, but the Tigers pulled even two frames later on a two- run homer by Prince Fielder off Wilson.
"A great game and they finally got the big fly. We had chances, but we couldn't get them across the plate," Detroit manager Jim Leyland said.
The Tigers have lost six straight to the Halos ... Fister gave up three runs -- two earned -- on six hits and two walks in seven innings ... Wilson allowed three runs on five hits and walked four over six frames ... Detroit center fielder Austin Jackson went 0-for-7 with an RBI.
- DETROIT: 3
LOS ANGELES: 4
Apr 21 8:11 PM
- Mark Trumbo lead-off Home Run (2) to left to win the game.
Tigers 3, Angels 4 Bot 13, 0 OutsApr 21 8:07 PM
- Prince Fielder one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored Torii Hunter. Victor Martinez due up.
Tigers 3, Angels 3 Top 5, 1 OutApr 21 5:13 PM
- Mark Trumbo ground ball fielder's choice to third scored Albert Pujols with two outs, advances to third on Omar Infante's throwing error Josh Hamilton out at second. Runner on third with two outs and Howie Kendrick due up.
Tigers 1, Angels 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 21 4:50 PM
- Albert Pujols double to left scored Luis Jimenez and Mike Trout with one out. Runner on second and Josh Hamilton due up.
Tigers 1, Angels 2 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 21 4:45 PM
- Austin Jackson ground ball fielder's choice, short to third scored Jhonny Peralta with two outs. On the play, Omar Infante out ath third. Runner on first and Torii Hunter due up.
Tigers 1, Angels 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 21 4:12 PM
- DETROIT: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 21 3:40 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22