Tigers get past Royals to end losing skidApr 25, 2013 - 5:13 AM
Jose Valverde made his 2013 debut with a perfect ninth inning to pick up the save for Max Scherzer (2-0), who struck out six but allowed five runs on seven hits in five innings.
Omar Infante went 3-for-4 with an RBI and run scored for Detroit, which snapped a four-game losing skid. Miguel Cabrera tacked on two hits, an RBI and scored a run of his own.
After pitching 12 scoreless innings in his previous two stints, Wade Davis (2-1) was lit up in only 3 2/3 innings of work. Davis yielded seven runs -- three earned -- and eight hits. He also issued a season-high four walks.
Alex Gordon doubled and scored two runs for Kansas City, while Eric Hosmer drove in two.
Detroit struck first in the bottom of the second inning. With two away, Peralta singled to left and Alex Avila drew a walk. Infante then drove a 2-1 offering to left field, scoring Peralta.
After managing just one hit through the first two innings, Kansas City erupted for four runs in the top of the third. Salvador Perez and Chris Getz singled to lead off the stanza. Gordon then ripped an RBI-double to right, followed by two more RBI singles from Alcides Escobar and Billy Butler. Hosmer completed the scoring with a sacrifice fly before Scherzer finally escaped the inning by forcing Lorenzo Cain to ground into a double-play.
Martinez and Peralta brought the Tigers back to within 4-3 in the bottom of the third with RBI pokes to right field.
Detroit continued to pepper it on in the fourth inning. With one out and two runners on base, Royals third basemen Mike Moustakas muffed a grounder from Torii Hunter, scoring Infante. Cabrera followed with a sac fly to center, then Prince Fielder walked and Martinez plated Hunter with a single to left.
Luis Mendoza replaced Davis with two outs in the fourth but could not find the strike zone. Martinez and Fielder each advanced a base on a wild pitch, then Mendoza walked Andy Dirks and Peralta, forcing in another run. Finally Avila flied out to left to end the inning.
Scherzer walked in a run of his own in the top of the fifth to round out the scoring.
"I thought I did a pretty good job allowing only one run in that situation," Scherzer said.
Moustakas picked up his fourth error of the season, tying him with Washington's Ryan Zimmerman for most among third basemen in the major leagues ... Mendoza and J.C. Gutierrez combined for 4 1/3 scoreless innings of relief for KC ... The Royals hit 4-for-11 with runners in scoring position.
- KANSAS CITY: 5
Apr 24 10:32 PM
- Eric Hosmer walked scoring Alex Gordon on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Lorenzo Cain due up.
Royals 5, Tigers 7 Top 5, 1 OutApr 24 9:07 PM
- Jhonny Peralta walked scoring Prince Fielder on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Alex Avila due up.
Royals 4, Tigers 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 24 8:46 PM
- Victor Martinez singled to left scored Torii Hunter. On the play, Prince Fielder advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Andy Dirks due up.
Royals 4, Tigers 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 24 8:37 PM
- Miguel Cabrera sacrifice fly to center scored Austin Jackson. Runner on first with two outs and Prince Fielder due up.
Royals 4, Tigers 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 24 8:32 PM
- Torii Hunter reached first on Mike Moustakas's fielding error scoring Omar Infante. On the play, Austin Jackson advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Royals 4, Tigers 4 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 24 8:31 PM
- Jhonny Peralta singled to right scored Prince Fielder. On the play, Victor Martinez thrown out at home, right to catcher to end the inning.
Royals 4, Tigers 3 End 3Apr 24 8:13 PM
- Victor Martinez doubled to right scored Miguel Cabrera. On the play, Prince Fielder advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Andy Dirks due up.
Royals 4, Tigers 2 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 24 8:08 PM
- Eric Hosmer sacrifice fly to center scored Alcides Escobar. Runner on first with one out and Lorenzo Cain due up.
Royals 4, Tigers 1 Top 3, 1 OutApr 24 7:55 PM
- Billy Butler singled to center scored Alex Gordon. On the play, Alcides Escobar advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Eric Hosmer due up.
Royals 3, Tigers 1 Top 3, 0 OutsApr 24 7:54 PM
- Alcides Escobar singled to left scored Chris Getz. On the play, Alex Gordon advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Billy Butler due up.
Royals 2, Tigers 1 Top 3, 0 OutsApr 24 7:53 PM
- Alex Gordon doubled to right scored Salvador Perez. On the play, Chris Getz advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Alcides Escobar due up.
Royals 1, Tigers 1 Top 3, 0 OutsApr 24 7:52 PM
- Omar Infante singled to left scored Jhonny Peralta. On the play, Alex Avila advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Austin Jackson due up.
Royals 0, Tigers 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 24 7:43 PM
- KANSAS CITY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 24 7:09 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22