Hafner helps Yankees down Blue JaysApr 28, 2013 - 3:30 AM
Vernon Wells had an RBI and scored twice for the Yankees, who have won the first three contests of this four-game series.
CC Sabathia (4-2) continued his success against the Blue Jays, allowing four runs -- three earned -- on nine hits over eight innings. The left-hander, who struck out four, improved to 14-4 in 19 career starts against Toronto.
"I was just trying to keep the team in the game -- battling, making a pitch whenever I could -- and I ended up staying in there long enough for these guys to score some runs," Sabathia said.
Prior to the game, New York placed catcher Francisco Cervelli and pitcher Ivan Nova on the 15-day disabled list. Cervelli (broken right hand) and Nova (right triceps inflammation) exited Friday's game with injuries.
Jose Bautista and Brett Lawrie hit solo homers for the Blue Jays, who got an RBI from Rajai Davis.
Toronto starter J.A. Happ gave up three runs on eight hits while striking out five over six innings. Esmil Rogers (1-2) allowed two runs on two hits while recording just two outs in the seventh.
"You know what, right now we're not good enough. It's that simple," Toronto manager John Gibbons said.
The Blue Jays started the scoring in the third. Maicer Izturis hit a one-out single to shortstop Eduardo Nunez, who failed to make a leaping catch. Emilio Bonifacio followed with a double down the left-field line, and Davis' RBI groundout made it 1-0.
Bautista led off the Toronto fourth with a homer to left. Edwin Encarnacion singled, moved to second on J.P. Arencibia's groundout, advanced to third on a passed ball and scored when Lawrie flied out to right. Encarnacion scored on catcher Chris Stewart's missed catch error, making it 3-0.
Hafner's three-run homer in the bottom half tied the game. Wells and Kevin Youkilis walked prior to Hafner's blast to right.
Lawrie's solo homer in the sixth made it 4-3 Toronto.
The Yankees scored a pair of runs off Rogers in the seventh to take the lead. Robinson Cano hit a one-out double down the right-field line and raced home on Wells' single to center. Wells moved to second on Youkilis' groundout, stole third and scored when Hafner tripled off the wall in center.
Joba Chamberlain pitched a scoreless ninth to pick up his first save since 2010. Izturis and Bonifacio hit consecutive one-out singles to put men on first and second. After Davis flied out, Melky Cabrera hit a grounder to third. Jayson Nix fielded the grounder and stepped on third to end the game.
Cervelli underwent surgery Saturday morning and is expected to be out for six weeks ... New York transferred shortstop Derek Jeter from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list, selected the contract of pitcher Vidal Nuno from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and recalled catcher Austin Romine from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre ... Youkilis returned to the lineup after missing six games due to lower back tightness ... Each team had 11 hits.
- TORONTO: 4
NEW YORK: 5
Apr 27 7:02 PM
- Travis Hafner triple to center scoring Vernon Wells with two outs. Runner on third and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Blue Jays 4, Yankees 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 27 6:31 PM
- Vernon Wells single to center scoring Robinson Cano with one out. Runner on first and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Blue Jays 4, Yankees 4 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 27 6:24 PM
- Brett Lawrie lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Mark DeRosa due up.
Blue Jays 4, Yankees 3 Top 6, 0 OutsApr 27 5:52 PM
- Travis Hafner three-run Home Run (6) to right scoring Vernon Wells and Kevin Youkilis with none out. Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Blue Jays 3, Yankees 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsApr 27 5:22 PM
- Brett Lawrie flied out to right. On the play, Edwin Encarnacion scored on Chris Stewart's missed catch error with two out. None on and Mark DeRosa due up.
Blue Jays 3, Yankees 0 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 27 5:13 PM
- Jose Bautista lead-off Home Run (7) to left. Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 2, Yankees 0 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 27 5:06 PM
- Rajai Davis grounds out short to first scoring Maicer Izturis with two outs. On the play, Emilio Bonifacio advances to third. Runner on third and Melky Cabrera due up.
Blue Jays 1, Yankees 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 27 4:55 PM
- TORONTO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 27 4:09 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21