Zobrist, Jennings power Rays over White SoxApr 28, 2013 - 7:00 AM
Kelly Johnson and James Loney each drove in a pair, while Jose Lobaton added one RBI for the Rays, who had dropped the first two games of the series.
Matt Moore (5-0) dazzled Chicago hitters over six frames, giving up just one run -- an Adam Dunn homer in the fourth -- one three hits while striking out nine.
Alexei Ramirez, Conor Gillaspie and Jordan Danks had one RBI apiece for the White Sox, who had won three straight entering the contest.
Gavin Floyd (0-4) lasted just 2 2/3 innings before exiting with a right elbow flexor muscle strain. He allowed two hits, including Zobrist's two-run blast.
"You just keep going, games are on the schedule and you find another guy," White Sox skipper Robin Ventura said of the injuries.
Zobrist ripped a two-run homer in the first to give the Rays an early lead.
"It seems every time we've been on the road, I've had a lead going into the bottom of the first," Moore said. "That makes it so much easier for a starting pitcher."
The Rays tacked on another run in the third as Loney singled home Evan Longoria.
Dunn crushed his fifth homer of the season over the wall in left-center to get the White Sox on the board.
Johnson scored Longoria with a base hit in the fifth and Jennings clubbed a solo shot in the sixth to put the Rays ahead 5-1.
Lobaton scored Johnson with a base hit up the middle, and after moving to third on an Ramirez's throwing error, Lobaton scored when White Sox reliever Donnie Veal's pitch sailed to the backstop.
Johnson plated Loney with a base hit in the eighth to give the Rays an 8-2 edge.
The White Sox loaded the bases in the home half and pushed three runs across. Ramirez laced a single to center to score Tyler Greene and Gillaspie smoked a base hit up the middle to bring Dunn around. Danks then worked a bases-loaded walk to score Paul Konerko.
Tampa added two more in the ninth after Longoria and Loney hit back-to-back RBI singles to cap the scoring.
Zobrist, who finished 2-for-5, also doubled ... The Rays were 7-for-18 with runners in scoring position ... Tampa Bay catcher Jose Molina left the game in the fourth inning after getting hit by a pitch in the right knee ... Dunn has homered in two of his last three games.
- TAMPA BAY: 10
Apr 27 10:53 PM
- James Loney singled to right scored Ben Zobrist. On the play, Evan Longoria advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Shelley Duncan due up.
Rays 10, White Sox 4 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 27 10:42 PM
- Evan Longoria singled to left scored Matt Joyce. On the play, Ben Zobrist advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and James Loney due up.
Rays 9, White Sox 4 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 27 10:40 PM
- Jordan Danks walked Paul Konerko scored on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Alejandro De Aza due up.
Rays 8, White Sox 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 27 10:25 PM
- Conor Gillaspie singled to center scored Adam Dunn. On the play, Alexei Ramirez advances to second and Paul Konerko advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Tyler Flowers due up.
Rays 8, White Sox 3 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 27 10:17 PM
- Alexei Ramirez singled to center scored Tyler Greene. On the play, Paul Konerko advances to second and Adam Dunn advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Conor Gillaspie due up.
Rays 8, White Sox 2 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 27 10:15 PM
- Kelly Johnson singled to right scored James Loney. On the play, Shelley Duncan advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jose Lobaton due up.
Rays 8, White Sox 1 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 27 10:02 PM
- Jose Lobaton scored on a wild pitch and Sam Fuld advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Matt Joyce at the plate.
Rays 7, White Sox 1 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 27 9:39 PM
- Jose Lobaton singled to left scored Kelly Johnson. Runner on first with one out and Sam Fuld due up.
Rays 6, White Sox 1 Top 7, 1 OutApr 27 9:32 PM
- Desmond Jennings one-out, solo Home Run (3) to center. Matt Joyce due up.
Rays 5, White Sox 1 Top 6, 1 OutApr 27 9:02 PM
- Kelly Johnson singled to center scored Evan Longoria. On the play, James Loney advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jose Lobaton due up.
Rays 4, White Sox 1 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 27 8:47 PM
- Adam Dunn two-out, solo Home Run (5) to left. Paul Konerko due up.
Rays 3, White Sox 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 27 8:36 PM
- James Loney singled to left scored Evan Longoria. James Loney advanced to second on the throw left field to catcher. Runner on second with two outs and Shelley Duncan due up.
Rays 3, White Sox 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 27 8:07 PM
- Ben Zobrist one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Matt Joyce. Evan Longoria due up.
Rays 2, White Sox 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 27 7:15 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 27 7:11 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22