Former Cy Young winner Price picks up first win of 2013Apr 29, 2013 - 12:21 AM
Jose Lobaton had a solo homer and Evan Longoria added an RBI double for the Rays, who have won seven of their last 10 games.
David Price (1-2) gave up three runs on six hits while striking out nine in seven innings to pick up his first win of the season. Despite the slow start this season, Price has just three losses over his last 24 starts dating back to June 19, 2012.
"David was good, he pitched really, really well. His fastball was good, he had a really good hook and good change-ups. I thought he was really good," Rays manager Joe Maddon said.
Paul Konerko had a two-run homer and Adam Dunn drove in a run for the White Sox, losers in six of their last nine.
Nate Jones (0-2) was saddled with the loss after giving up the go-ahead run in the eighth inning. Starter Dylan Axelrod was tagged for three runs on four hits while fanning three over six frames.
Tampa Bay plated three runs in the eighth to go up 6-3. Sean Rodriguez opened the inning with a base hit to center and moved to second on Jones' wild pitch. After Matt Joyce drew a walk to put two on with one out, Zobrist laced a base hit up the middle to bring Rodriguez around.
Jones then walked Longoria to load the bases, spelling the end of his day. Matt Thornton was able to retire James Loney before being replaced by Jesse Crain. Crain was able to get Ryan Roberts to hit what appeared to be a routine fly ball to right, but Rios dropped the ball allowing Joyce and Zobrist to score.
Zobrist knocked in Desmond Jennings with a base hit to center and Longoria scored Joyce with a double down the left-field line in the ninth inning to cap the scoring.
Dunn scored Rios with a single to center in the first inning, but Lobaton tied the game with his homer in the third.
Konerko's two-run shot in the bottom half of the third gave the White Sox a 3-1 edge, but Joyce knotted things up with his two-run blast in the sixth.
"They were swinging the bats well, we just couldn't hold them down. We got off to a good start, but you have to hand it to Price, he settled down and shut us down and their bullpen did a nice job ," Konerko said.
Tampa Bay tied a franchise record with at least one home run in 15 straight games. The Rays also hit a homer in 15 consecutive games in 2009 ... Rays catcher Jose Molina missed the game with a bruised right knee. Molina was hit in the knee with a pitch in Saturday's win ... The White Sox will open a brief eight-game road trip on Tuesday when they visit the Texas Rangers ... The White Sox have played just four games this season decided by more than three runs ... Earlier on Sunday, the White Sox placed starting pitcher Gavin Floyd on the 15-day disabled list with a right elbow injury. Chicago recalled pitcher Deunte Heath from Triple-A Charlotte to fill the roster spot.
- TAMPA BAY: 8
Apr 28 5:22 PM
- Evan Longoria double to left scored Matt Joyce with two out. On the play, Ben Zobrist advances to third. Runners on second and third and James Loney due up.
Rays 8, White Sox 3 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 28 5:13 PM
- Ben Zobrist single to center scored Desmond Jennings with two out. On the play, Matt Joyce advances to third. Runners on first and third and Evan Longoria due up.
Rays 7, White Sox 3 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 28 5:12 PM
- Ryan Roberts reached first on Alex Rios's fielding error scored Matt Joyce and Ben Zobrist with two out. On the play, Evan Longoria advances to third. Runners on first and third and Kelly Johnson due up.
Rays 6, White Sox 3 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 28 4:50 PM
- Ben Zobrist single to center scored Sean Rodriguez with one out. On the play, Matt Joyce advances to second. Runners on first and second and Evan Longoria due up.
Rays 4, White Sox 3 Top 8, 1 OutApr 28 4:36 PM
- Matt Joyce none-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Desmond Jennings. Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 3, White Sox 3 Top 6, 0 OutsApr 28 3:50 PM
- Paul Konerko two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left scored Alejandro De Aza. Adam Dunn due up.
Rays 1, White Sox 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 28 3:10 PM
- Jose Lobaton one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 1, White Sox 1 Top 3, 1 OutApr 28 2:53 PM
- Adam Dunn single to center scored Alex Rios with two out. On the play, Paul Konerko was thrown out at third, center to catcher to third to end the inning.
Rays 0, White Sox 1 End 1Apr 28 2:34 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 28 2:13 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22