Mariners take series from OriolesMay 2, 2013 - 6:49 AM
Michael Saunders added three hits and an RBI while also scoring three runs, Michael Morse hit his third homer in four games and Jason Bay drove in a pair in the Mariners' fourth win in five games.
"I feel like our guys have taken significant steps," said Seattle manager Eric Wedge. "What you're seeing now is more the norm in regard to what our guys are capable of."
Aaron Harang (1-3) notched his first victory with the Mariners, tossing six solid innings of two-run ball. He allowed four hits, walked one and struck out five to help Seattle close out a seven-game homestand, 5-2.
Manny Machado went 2-for-4 with a solo homer and two runs scored, while Nick Markakis and Adam Jones each had two hits and an RBI in the Orioles' third setback in four games.
Coming off two very strong performances, Wei-Yin Chen (2-3) was anything but in his sixth start of the season. The lefty was tagged for five runs on eight hits and three walks over four innings of work.
Seattle opened up the scoring in the first, with Morales getting on with a two-out single. Morse followed with a walk and Bay ripped an RBI double off Chen to put the Mariners ahead 1-0.
"He had a change-up that he jerked across the plate to Bay," said Orioles manager Buck Showalter. "That cost him. Stuff-wise, he was in pretty good shape. He made a mistake with an off-speed pitch and got hurt."
Seattle increased its lead with two more runs in the second. Jesus Montero led off the frame with a triple and Saunders lined a single to right to bring him home. Saunders then stole second and Morales grounded a two-out single up the middle for a 3-0 Mariners edge.
Morse clubbed his ninth home run of the season in the fourth, sending a two- run shot over the right field wall to give the M's a five-run cushion.
The Orioles made a dent in the sixth, with Machado reaching with a two-out double and then scoring on Markakis' base hit into center. Jones then doubled in a run to cut Baltimore's deficit to 5-2, but the Mariners responded with three runs in the bottom half of the frame.
Zach Clark, starting his second inning of work in his major league debut, gave up back-to-back singles to Saunders and Kyle Seager and both came around to score on Morales' double. Morse pushed Morales to third with a fly ball into right and Bay sent him home with a sac fly, giving the M's an 8-2 lead.
The Orioles received a two-out solo homer from Machado in the eighth, and ensuing singles from Markakis and Jones had runners on first and second, but Charlie Furbush replaced Carter Capps on the mound and struck out Chris Davis to end the threat.
The Mariners had five extra base hits ... Seattle was 5-for-14 with runners in scoring position and left 10 on base ... The Orioles are 4-3 on their 11-game road trip, which will end with a four-game set in Los Angeles when the club takes on the Angels ... The Mariners will begin a three-game set in Toronto on Friday.
- BALTIMORE: 3
May 2 1:02 AM
- Manny Machado two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 3, Mariners 8 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 2 12:38 AM
- Jason Bay sacrifice fly to center scored Kendrys Morales with two out. None on and Justin Smoak due up.
Orioles 2, Mariners 8 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 2 12:14 AM
- Kendrys Morales doubled to center scoring Michael Saunders and Kyle Seager with none out. Runner on second and Michael Morse due up.
Orioles 2, Mariners 7 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 2 12:12 AM
- Adam Jones doubled to right scoring Nick Markakis with two out. Runner on second and Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 2, Mariners 5 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 2 12:01 AM
- Nick Markakis singled to center scoring Manny Machado with two out. Runner on first and Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 1, Mariners 5 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 1 11:57 PM
- Michael Morse two-out, two-run Home Run (9) to right scored Michael Saunders. Jason Bay due up.
Orioles 0, Mariners 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 1 11:27 PM
- Kendrys Morales singled to center scoring Michael Saunders with two out. Runner on first and Michael Morse due up.
Orioles 0, Mariners 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 1 10:50 PM
- Michael Saunders singled to right scoring Jesus Montero with one out. Runner on first and Kyle Seager due up.
Orioles 0, Mariners 2 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 1 10:46 PM
- Jason Bay doubled to left scoring Kendrys Morales with two out. On the play, Michael Morse advances to third. Runners on second and third and Justin Smoak due up.
Orioles 0, Mariners 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 1 10:26 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 1 10:10 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21