Indians nip Twins in 10 inningsMay 4, 2013 - 4:11 AM
After Aviles led off the extra frame with a single to right against Casey Fien (1-2) and was sacrificed to second by the newly-acquired pinch-hitter Ezequiel Carrera, Stubbs drove the second pitch he saw to deep left-center field to plate Aviles without a throw.
"He was throwing a lot of cut fastballs and threw a first-pitch two-seamer for a ball," said Stubbs. "I was just looking out over the plate for something moving away from me and I'm not sure if the pitch was a cutter or a slider but I definitely saw the spin on it and got a pretty good swing on it."
Stubbs finished 4-for-5 with three doubles as the Indians won their fifth straight contest. Justin Masterson went 6 2/3 innings, allowing five earned runs on eight hits.
"I pitched, we didn't lose and we won the ballgame," said Masterson. "At the end of the day as long as we're winning and keeping the streak going, that's five in a row for us."
Aviles had three hits and two runs scored for the Tribe, while Jason Kipnis matched a career-high with four RBI. Chris Perez (1-0) tossed a scoreless top of the tenth to earn his first win of the season.
Chris Parmelee hit a two-run homer and Trevor Plouffe added a solo shot for Minnesota, while Brian Dozier went 3-for-4 with a run scored.
"It was a good baseball game. Unfortunately we came up on the short end of it," said Twins manager Ron Gardenhire.
Trailing 5-3 in the top of the seventh, Minnesota scraped out three runs, all with two outs, to take a 6-5 lead. Following consecutive fly outs, Justin Morneau singled and advanced to second on a passed ball. Ryan Doumit then poked a single through the hole at short to plate Morneau, and Parmelee followed with a homer to right.
Cleveland added a run in the bottom of the eighth to force extras on Kipnis' RBI groundout with the bases loaded and one away.
The Twins got on the board first when Dozier and Joe Mauer led off the game with consecutive singles. Morneau then drove in the game's first run with a sacrifice fly to left. Plouffe's second-inning long ball gave the Twins a 2-0 edge.
Kipnis' one-out triple in the bottom of the third off of Twins starter Pedro Hernandez plated Yan Gomes and Stubbs, each of whom singled to lead off the frame, to tie the score.
Mark Reynolds put Cleveland up 4-2 with a deep, two-out, two-run home run to left field in the bottom of the fifth.
Oswaldo Arcia brought Twins one run closer in the top of the sixth with a bloop single to left, scoring Parmelee, but Cleveland got the run right back in the bottom of the stanza on a bunt single by Kipnis which brought home Gomes.
Hernandez surrendered five runs on eight hits and four walks in 5 1/3 innings ... The Twins went 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position ... Cleveland's Ryan Raburn, who was hitting 11-for-13 with four home runs over his last four, went 0-for-5.
- MINNESOTA: 6
May 3 10:39 PM
- Drew Stubbs doubled in Mike Aviles with one out to end the game.
Twins 6, Indians 7 Bot 10, 1 OutMay 3 10:39 PM
- Jason Kipnis grounded out second to first scoring Mike Aviles with two outs. On the play, Michael Brantley advances to second and Drew Stubbs advances to third. Runners on second and third and with Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Twins 6, Indians 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 3 9:51 PM
- Chris Parmelee two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored Ryan Doumit. Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 6, Indians 5 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 3 9:21 PM
- Ryan Doumit singled in Justin Morneau with two outs. Runner on first with Chris Parmelee due up.
Twins 4, Indians 5 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 3 9:16 PM
- Jason Kipnis bunt-singled in Yan Gomes with two out. On the play, Drew Stubbs advances to third. Runners on first and third with Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Twins 3, Indians 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 3 9:04 PM
- Oswaldo Arcia singled in Chris Parmelee with two outs. Runner on first with Aaron Hicks due up.
Twins 3, Indians 4 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 3 8:44 PM
- Mark Reynolds two-out, two-run Home Run (9) to left scored Michael Brantley. Carlos Santana due up.
Twins 2, Indians 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 3 8:34 PM
- Jason Kipnis tripled in Yan Gomes and Drew Stubbs with one out. Runner on third with Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Twins 2, Indians 2 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 3 7:55 PM
- Trevor Plouffe one-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Oswaldo Arcia due up.
Twins 2, Indians 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 3 7:27 PM
- Justin Morneau sacrifice fly out to left scored Brian Dozier with one out. Runner on first with Ryan Doumit due up.
Twins 1, Indians 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 3 7:11 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 3 7:06 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21