Plouffe, Pelfrey help Twins top TribeMay 6, 2013 - 12:04 AM
Justin Morneau and Joe Mauer each had an RBI for the Twins, who bounced back after dropping the first two games of this set. Pelfrey (3-3) gave up one run on four hits while striking out seven.
"(Pelfrey's) pitches were working, he was locating very well and got us through a good six innings," Minnesota manager Ron Gardenhire said.
Carlos Santana hit a solo homer for the Indians, who had won six in a row. Corey Kluber (2-1) allowed three runs on five hits over 5 2/3 innings.
The Twins jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the second. Chris Parmelee worked a one- out walk and scored on Plouffe's homer to left.
"(Kluber) threw maybe one too many breaking balls to Plouffe and paid for it," Cleveland manager Terry Francona said.
Cleveland got one run back in the fourth. Asdrubal Cabrera led off with a double to left, stole third and scored on Mark Reynolds' sacrifice fly.
Minnesota scored one run in the sixth and seventh frames to create some distance. Jamey Carroll singled before Mauer and Josh Willingham walked to load the bases in the sixth. Morneau followed with an RBI single to right.
With two outs in the seventh, Carroll walked before racing home on Mauer's double to left.
Josh Roenicke and Jared Burton tossed a scoreless seventh and eighth, respectively, for Minnesota. Glen Perkins gave up a homer to Santana in the ninth.
Cleveland had now won three straight over the Twins dating back to last season ... Perkins picked up his seventh save of the season ... The Indians recalled pitcher Scott Barnes from Triple-A Columbus Sunday, while designating outfielder Ezequiel Carrera for assignment. Barnes pitched two scoreless innings.
- MINNESOTA: 4
May 5 4:06 PM
- Carlos Santana two-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Ryan Raburn due up.
Twins 4, Indians 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 5 4:00 PM
- Joe Mauer double to left scored Jamey Carroll with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Josh Willingham due up.
Twins 4, Indians 1 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 5 3:18 PM
- Justin Morneau single to right scored Jamey Carroll with none out. On the play, Josh Willingham was tagged out between second and third, Joe Mauer advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Chris Parmelee due up.
Twins 3, Indians 1 Top 6, 1 OutMay 5 2:48 PM
- Mark Reynolds sacrifice fly to center scored Asdrubal Cabrera with two out. None on with two outs and Carlos Santana due up.
Twins 2, Indians 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 5 2:12 PM
- Trevor Plouffe one-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left scored Chris Parmelee. Oswaldo Arcia due up.
Twins 2, Indians 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 5 1:26 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 5 1:07 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21