Cabrera homers twice, Indians down AthleticsMay 7, 2013 - 4:37 AM
Jimenez (2-2) pitched 5 2/3 innings of two-run, four-hit baseball while striking out a season-high eight batters.
Jason Kipnis and Mark Reynolds also went yard for the Indians, winners in seven of their last eight. Michael Brantley and Jason Giambi each had two hits while Giambi contributed two RBI.
"We got some guys with some pop," Reynolds said. "We're just going out there and having fun."
Yoenis Cespedes hit his sixth home run of the year for Oakland while Brandon Moss had two hits and a run scored. Jarrod Parker (1-5) fanned seven but allowed four runs, all on solo homers, and seven hits.
"(Parker) just got some balls up," manager Bob Melvin said. "They had good swings on them and hit them out of the ballpark."
Kipnis and Cabrera went back-to-back in the first inning off Parker to provide the Tribe an early cushion. Parker then pegged Reynolds on the back but settled down and struck out Carlos Santana looking to end the inning.
Cespedes' solo dinger in the fourth inning cut Oakland's deficit in half, at least for the time being.
One inning later, Cabrera and Reynolds ripped home runs around a Nick Swisher strikeout. Parker struck out the side in what was ultimately his final inning on the hill.
Jimenez allowed just three baserunners through the first five but got into trouble in the sixth after putting runners on the corners with no outs. The A's got one run across the plate on a Cespedes sacrifice fly to right before recently recalled Nick Hagadone took over for Jimenez with two down and got out of a bases loaded jam by striking out Josh Reddick on three pitches.
Giambi delivered a single up the gut with the bases juiced in the bottom of the seventh off Chris Resop to put two insurance runs across for the Tribe. Ryan Raburn followed with an RBI double of his own, giving him 100 two-baggers for his career.
Josh Donaldson plated Moss with a single to right in the top of the eighth to round out the scoring.
Jimenez reached 1,000 strikeouts for his career when he fanned Derek Norris in the third inning ... This was Cabrera's third multi-home run game of his career ... Both teams were a combined 0-for-12 with runners in scoring position before Giambi's single.
- OAKLAND: 3
May 6 10:11 PM
- Josh Donaldson singled to right scoring Brandon Moss. Runner on first with two outs and Josh Reddick due up.
Athletics 3, Indians 7 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 6 9:53 PM
- Ryan Raburn doubled to center scoring Carlos Santana. On the play, Jason Giambi advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Drew Stubbs due up.
Athletics 2, Indians 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 6 9:42 PM
- Jason Giambi singled to center scoring Asdrubal Cabrera and Nick Swisher. On the play, Carlos Santana advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Ryan Raburn due up.
Athletics 2, Indians 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 6 9:37 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes sacrifice fly to right scored John Jaso. Runner on first with two outs and Brandon Moss due up.
Athletics 2, Indians 4 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 6 8:47 PM
- Mark Reynolds one-out, solo Home Run (10) to left. Carlos Santana is due up.
Athletics 1, Indians 4 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 6 8:33 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera lead off Home Run 2 (4) to right. Nick Swisher is due up.
Athletics 1, Indians 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 6 8:30 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left center. Brandon Moss is due up.
Athletics 1, Indians 2 Top 4, 1 OutMay 6 8:06 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera one-out, solo Home Run (3) to center. Nick Swisher is due up. NOTE: Cleveland home runs are back-to-back.
Athletics 0, Indians 2 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 6 7:17 PM
- Jason Kipnis one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left-center. Asdrubal Cabrera is due up.
Athletics 0, Indians 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 6 7:14 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 6 7:06 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21