McAllister, Indians shut out A'sMay 8, 2013 - 6:11 AM
Carlos Santana led off the decisive fifth inning with a grounder to first base, which was muffed by Brandon Moss. The ball then scooted toward second base and was picked up by Eric Sogard, whose errant throw to the pitcher covering first allowed Santana to advance to second. Mike Aviles singled Santana to third two batters later, and Yan Gomes plated Santana with a sacrifice fly to deep center field.
McAllister (3-3) went 7 2/3 innings, allowing just five hits and a walk while striking out four. Chris Perez surrendered a one-out single to Yoenis Cespedes in the ninth but got out of it unscathed for his fourth save of the season.
"I was able to get ahead of hitters," said McAllister. "When you do that you're able to get into a pretty good rhythm."
A's starter Tommy Milone (3-4) was terrific as well. He was charged with just one unearned run and five hits over seven innings of work despite the loss.
"It's disappointing when you can't get him a run or two," said manager Bob Melvin about Milone. "It looked like he was on the corners most of the night."
Both pitchers were perfect through two innings. Sogard became the game's first baserunner when he reached on an infield single with one out in the third, but next batter Michael Taylor grounded into an inning-ending double-play.
Ryan Raburn doubled to begin the bottom of the third for Cleveland, giving him 101 two-baggers for his career.
Cespedes drove an 0-1 Perez offering up the middle in the ninth, but was thrown out attempting to steal second by Gomes one batter later. Perez struck out Moss to end the game.
Cleveland improved to 6-1 on its current homestand ... Aviles made his second career start in left field ... Taylor went 0-for-3, bringing him to 0-for-12 on the season ... Oakland did not put a single baserunner in scoring position ... The game took just 2 hours and 28 minutes.
- OAKLAND: 0
May 7 9:34 PM
- Yan Gomes sacrifice fly out to center scored Carlos Santana. Runner on first with two outs and Drew Stubbs due up.
Athletics 0, Indians 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 7 8:23 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 7 7:06 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21