Jimenez helps Indians tame TigersMay 12, 2013 - 5:07 AM Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - Asdrubal Cabrera went 3-for-5 and drove in two runs as the Cleveland Indians knotted their three-game set with the Detroit Tigers with a 7-6 win at Comerica Park.
Michael Bourn and Jason Kipnis each scored twice while Jason Giambi provided two RBI, neither of which came on a base hit.
Ubaldo Jimenez (3-2) was terrific for the third straight outing, yielding just one run on three hits while striking out eight over six innings of work. Chris Perez allowed a run on a Torii Hunter single in the ninth but got Miguel Cabrera on a groundout to third to retire the side and pick up his sixth save.
"The key was I was able to mix my fastball and then mix my breaking ball," Jimenez said of his success. "I think they were sitting a little bit on my breaking ball and then we pitched them backwards."
Omar Infante had two hits and two RBI to pace Detroit, which has lost three of four. Justin Verlander (4-3) lasted just five innings for the second time this season and was tagged with four runs -- three earned -- while walking a season-high five Indians.
"They're just professional hitters," Verlander said of the Indians."You make your pitches and most of the time you get guys out, but when you get professional hitters like that, you have to make your pitches. They're not going to give in and make an easy out for you. They're going to battle you."
Cleveland tacked on one run apiece in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings on RBI singles by Mark Reynolds, Cabrera and pinch-hitter Mike Aviles. The Tribe was up 6-1 heading into the home seventh before the Tigers awoke.
Nick Hagadone took over pitching duties for Cleveland but was pulled before he could record an out. He gave up a double to Victor Martinez, walked pinch- hitter Matt Tuiasosopo then walked Peralta on nine pitches to load the bases.
Cody Allen entered and allowed all three of his inherited runners to score. Brayan Pena clubbed a pinch-hit sacrifice fly to plate Martinez and Infante followed with a two-run triple to right center. Infante then scored on an RBI groundout from Austin Jackson and when Torii Hunter finally grounded out to end the inning, Detroit had cut its deficit to 6-5.
Giambi provided Cleveland's bullpen with an insurance run, which would prove to be vital, on a sac fly to center in the top of the eighth.
Perez struck out Jhonny Peralta to start the final frame but Pena reached on a Nick Swisher error. Hunter's single two batters later made it a one-run game, but Cabrera failed to deliver with two on and two out -- grounding harmlessly to third.
Cleveland tacked on a pair of runs in the first inning. With two on and one down, Swisher doubled in Michael Bourn, who singled to lead off the game. Giambi then drew a bases-loaded walk two batters later to force in Cabrera.
One inning later, Cabrera's RBI double to deep right put the Tribe up 3-0.
Peralta led off the bottom of the third with a home run to left center to put Detroit on the board.
Cleveland left 13 men on base ... Peralta is on a 10-game hitting streak ... Detroit had won six of seven at home entering play ... The Tigers hit 2-for-10 with runners in scoring position.
- CLEVELAND: 7
May 11 10:43 PM
- Torii Hunter single to right scored Brayan Pena with two out. On the play, Austin Jackson advances to second. Runners on first and second and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Indians 7, Tigers 6 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 11 10:42 PM
- Jason Giambi sacrifice fly to center scored Jason Kipnis with two out. On the play, Asdrubal Cabrera advances to third. Runners on first and third and Mark Reynolds due up.
Indians 7, Tigers 5 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 11 10:07 PM
- Austin Jackson grounded out second to first scored Omar Infante with two out. None on and Torii Hunter due up.
Indians 6, Tigers 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 11 9:53 PM
- Omar Infante triple to center scored Matt Tuiasosopo and Jhonny Peralta with one out. Runner on third and Austin Jackson due up.
Indians 6, Tigers 4 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 11 9:52 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Brayan Pena sacrifice fly to center scored Victor Martinez with one out. Runners on first and second and Omar Infante due up.
Indians 6, Tigers 2 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 11 9:49 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Mike Aviles single to left scored Mark Reynolds with two out. On the play, Michael Brantley advances to third. Mike Aviles to second on the throw. Runners on second and third and Michael Bourn due up.
Indians 6, Tigers 1 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 11 9:30 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera single to left scored Michael Bourn with two out. Runner on first and Nick Swisher due up.
Indians 5, Tigers 1 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 11 9:06 PM
- Mark Reynolds single to center scored Nick Swisher with two out. Runner on first and Michael Brantley due up.
Indians 4, Tigers 1 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 11 8:41 PM
- Jhonny Peralta lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Alex Avila due up.
Indians 3, Tigers 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 11 8:06 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera double to right scored Jason Kipnis with two out. Asdrubal Cabrera to third on the throw. Runner on third and Nick Swisher due up.
Indians 3, Tigers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 11 7:47 PM
- Jason Giambi walk scored Asdrubal Cabrera with one out. Bases loaded and Mark Reynolds due up.
Indians 2, Tigers 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 11 7:25 PM
- Nick Swisher double to right scored Michael Bourn with one out. On the play, Asdrubal Cabrera advances to third. Runners on second and third and Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 1, Tigers 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 11 7:18 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 11 7:10 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22