A's hold off MarinersMay 12, 2013 - 6:06 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Brandon Moss' leadoff homer in the sixth proved to be the difference, as the Oakland Athletics held off the Seattle Mariners, 4-3, on Saturday in the middle test of a three-game series at Safeco Field.
Josh Donaldson and Daric Barton each added a solo shot, while Jed Lowrie collected three hits and knocked in the other run for the A's, who snapped a five-game slide.
Jarrod Parker (2-5) allowed just three runs on three hits and four walks while striking out five over 6 1/3 innings. Grant Balfour stranded runners on first and second in the ninth to nail down his sixth save of the season.
"We want to get him on a roll," A's manager Bob Melvin said of Parker. "We'd like to see him get on a roll and certainly with losing a few games in a row, it was a performance we needed out of him."
Kelly Shoppach scorched a two-run homer and Dustin Ackley added an RBI single for Seattle, which had won two straight coming into the game.
Brandon Maurer (2-5) yielded three runs on six hits and two walks over five frames to absorb the loss.
"It took a while to settle in there, so I was rushing quite a bit at the beginning," Maurer said.
Donaldson homered with one out in the second to give the A's the early edge before Barton doubled the lead with a two-out blast to right in the fourth.
Oakland added another two-out run in the fifth when Seth Smith kept the frame alive with a double and then scored on Lowrie's base hit to center.
Parker, meanwhile, held the Mariners hitless until the fifth, which started with a leadoff walk to Justin Smoak.
Ackley reached on a fielder's choice with one out before Shoppach launched a 3-2 fastball into the first row in right-center to bring the M's within a run.
With Maurer finished after five frames, Charlie Furbush took over to start the sixth and Moss greeted the Seattle reliever with a deep fly ball into the seats in right-center field to make it 4-2.
Parker issued consecutive one-out singles in the seventh to spell the end of his outing, as Sean Doolittle entered from the bullpen. Ackley then slapped Doolittle's fourth offering into right field to score Smoak and again bring the Mariners within one.
Ryan Cook worked out of a bases-loaded jam in the eighth by striking out Endy Chavez before Balfour shut the door in the ninth.
Balfour issued a walk to Shoppach around a pair of strikeouts before Michael Saunders smacked a single to left. Balfour escaped unscathed by grounding out Kyle Seager to end the contest.
Balfour has converted 24 consecutive save opportunities, with his last blown save coming on April 29, 2012 at Baltimore ... The A's improved to 3-6 on their 10-game road trip which wraps up with Sunday's matinee at Safeco Field ... Seattle went 1-for-6 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base.
- OAKLAND: 4
May 12 12:22 AM
- Dustin Ackley single to right scored Justin Smoak with one out. On the play, Endy Chavez advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Kelly Shoppach due up.
Athletics 4, Mariners 3 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 11 11:21 PM
- Brandon Moss lead-off Home Run (5) to right center. Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 4, Mariners 2 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 11 10:51 PM
- Kelly Shoppach two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Dustin Ackley. Brendan Ryan due up.
Athletics 3, Mariners 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 11 10:45 PM
- Jed Lowrie single to center scored Seth Smith with two out. Runner on first and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Athletics 3, Mariners 0 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 11 10:27 PM
- Daric Barton two-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Derek Norris due up.
Athletics 2, Mariners 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 11 10:04 PM
- Josh Donaldson one-out, solo Home Run (5) to left. Daric Barton due up.
Athletics 1, Mariners 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 11 9:32 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 11 9:12 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21