Surging Indians rally to top Tigers in 10May 12, 2013 - 10:56 PM Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - Mark Reynolds delivered a pinch-hit, two-out RBI single in the top of the 10th inning as the Cleveland Indians rallied for a 4-3 victory over the Detroit Tigers Sunday in the finale of a three-game set at Comerica Park.
Facing Darin Downs (0-1) in the 10th, Asdrubal Cabrera poked a leadoff double and advanced to third on Nick Swisher's groundout to the pitcher. Carlos Santana was then intentionally walked and Michael Bourn followed with a slow chopper to short, but the Tigers' Jhonny Peralta fired home to throw out Cabrera for the second out of the frame.
Reynolds, however, made up for the missed opportunity with a single through the left side that plated Santana for the eventual game-winning run.
Rich Hill retired the first two batters he faced in the bottom of the 10th, while Cody Allen struck out Matt Tuiasosopo to secure his first save of the season.
Michael Brantley hit a game-tying RBI single in the ninth off Detroit reliever Jose Valverde, who absorbed the blown save that sent the contest into extras.
Cleveland's Joe Smith (1-0) worked a scoreless bottom of the ninth to earn the win, the Indians' sixth in their last seven tries.
"We left some runners out there early," Cleveland manager Terry Francona said. "Against a team like Detroit, that's that game where you come in and say 'God we had chances' but there's something to be said about just keep on playing."
Brayan Pena had three hits, including a two-run homer for the Tigers, who have lost four of five. Starter Rick Porcello was charged with two runs on four hits and struck out six over six innings of work.
Bourn pinch-hit to leadoff the ninth with the Tribe down one run. Valverde issued a walk and then allowed the speedster Bourn to swipe second base. Valverde, though, looked to get out alive by retiring the next two batters, but again issued a walk, this time to Jason Giambi, before Brantley smacked a slicing liner into left field to tie the game at 3-3.
"It's one of those days where it's going to happen," Pena added of the blown save. "I mean, Valverde is our closer and we're very happy to have him. He's one of those guys that tomorrow he's going to be back on the mound ready to see what happens."
Cleveland's Zach McAllister, who lasted six frames and allowed three runs -- two earned -- on eight hits and three walks, ran into trouble in the fourth.
Peralta reached second on Lonnie Chisenhall's throwing error to start the inning and Pena followed with an infield single to put runners on first and third. Omar Infante then provided a sacrifice fly to right to give the Tigers a 3-2 lead.
In the fifth, Porcello walked consecutive batters to load the bases, but forced an inning-ending double play to Cabrera to end the threat.
Michael Brantley's single in the third advanced Yan Gomes to third base and the Indians tied the game at 2-2 one batter later with Jason Kipnis' two RBI double to left.
Pena put the Tigers on the board in the second. The lefty crushed McAllister's 2-2 breaking ball over the right-center wall for a two-run blast and a 2-0 Detroit lead.
Dating back to 2009, the Tigers have won 29 of 38 games versus Cleveland at home ... Porcello is one win away for No. 50 in his MLB career ... It was Allen's first career save ... Cleveland has not dropped any of its last seven series.
- CLEVELAND: 4
May 12 4:48 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Mark Reynolds singled to left scoring Carlos Santana with two out. On the play, Michael Bourn out at third to end the inning.
Indians 4, Tigers 3 Mid 10May 12 4:34 PM
- Michael Brantley singled to left scoring Michael Bourn with two out. On the play, Mike Aviles advances to second. Runners on first and second with Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 3, Tigers 3 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 12 4:12 PM
- Omar Infante sacrifice fly to right scored Jhonny Peralta with one out. Runner on first and Andy Dirks due up.
Indians 2, Tigers 3 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 12 2:22 PM
- Jason Kipnis doubled to left scoring Yan Gomes and Michael Brantley with two out. Runner on second and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 2, Tigers 2 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 12 1:53 PM
- Brayan Pena one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Jhonny Peralta. Omar Infante due up.
Indians 0, Tigers 2 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 12 1:40 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 12 1:10 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22