Dunn powers White Sox past TwinsMay 16, 2013 - 2:33 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Adam Dunn recorded his 35th career multi- home run game and finished with five RBI, and Dylan Axelrod picked up his first win of the season as the Chicago White Sox pounded the Minnesota Twins, 9-4, to take the rubber match of a three-game set at Target Field.
Alex Rios finished with three hits and three runs scored for the White Sox, winners of three of four overall and 15 of their last 19 at Target Field. Dayan Viciedo added two hits, including a two-run homer, and Jeff Keppinger also drove in two runs in the victory.
Axelrod (1-3) gave up three runs on nine hits and struck out four over 5 1/3 innings.
Josh Willingham drove in two runs and Eduardo Escobar supplied a solo home run for the Twins, who saw starter Mike Pelfrey (3-4) yield five runs and eight hits over four-plus innings.
"For Pelfrey it's an ongoing process," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "At times he's getting on top of the ball sinking good at other times the ball is kind of flat across the zone. When that happens they'll end up making him pay for it."
Holding a one-run edge in the seventh, Paul Konerko and Conor Gillaspie hit back-to-back singles to take Minnesota reliever Brian Duensing out of the game. Josh Roenicke took the hill and forced Viciedo to pop out. Keppinger then smacked a two run double to left to give the White Sox a 7-4 advantage.
Dunn's eighth inning two-out, two-run shot deflated the hosts. Rios drew a walk to preserve the inning and Dunn followed with a blast into the left- center field bullpen to account for the final margin.
"I'm happy with the direction where the balls went," Dunn said. "I've gotten pitches to hit and had been fouling them off, but the last couple of nights haven't fouled them off."
Chicago turned a one-run lead in the fifth into a three-run edge with Dunn's two-run double and Viciedo's sacrifice fly.
Following Dunn's two-bagger, which scored Rios and Alexei Ramirez, Anthony Swarzak entered the game and struck out Konerko, but was forced to intentionally walk Gillaspie to load the bases. Viciedo followed with a deep fly to center to give the White Sox a 5-2 lead.
Minnesota fought back in the sixth by tacking on two runs off Matt Lindstrom. Jamey Carroll plated Pedro Florimon with an RBI single up the middle. Joe Mauer responded with a double and Willingham scored Carroll with a groundout to short to bring the Twins within 5-4.
Rios poked a two-out single in the third, then stole second, before Dunn followed with two-run blast to deep center, tying the game at 2-2.
One inning later, Viciedo clubbed a leadoff homer to right center to put the White Sox ahead 3-2.
In the second, Escobar drove Axelrod's 1-1 offering over the right field wall to give the Twins a 2-0 edge. Willingham's RBI single in the first put the Twins on the board.
Rios hit his 50th career triple in the first inning, extending his hitting streak to 10 games ... The White Sox last won two straight to open up the month of May ... Mauer is batting .446 (25 for 56) during a 14- game hitting streak, while Justin Morneau, who turned 32 today, is batting .422 (19 for 45) while hitting safely in 11 straight.
- CHICAGO: 9
May 15 4:37 PM
- Adam Dunn two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (9) to center scored Alex Rios. Paul Konerko due up.
White Sox 9, Twins 4 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 15 4:10 PM
- Jeff Keppinger doubled to left scoring Paul Konerko and Conor Gillaspie. Runner on second with two outs and Hector Gimenez due up.
White Sox 7, Twins 4 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 15 3:56 PM
- Josh Willingham grounded out short to first scoring Jamey Carroll. Runner on second with two outs and Justin Morneau due up.
White Sox 5, Twins 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 15 3:40 PM
- Jamey Carroll singled to center scoring Pedro Florimon. Runner on first with one out and Joe Mauer due up.
White Sox 5, Twins 3 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 15 3:31 PM
- Dayan Viciedo sacrifice fly out to center scored Alex Rios. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Jeff Keppinger due up.
White Sox 5, Twins 2 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 15 2:56 PM
- Adam Dunn doubled to left scoring Alexei Ramirez. On the play, Alex Rios advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Paul Konerko due up.
White Sox 4, Twins 2 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 15 2:47 PM
- Dayan Viciedo lead-off Home Run (4) to right center. Jeff Keppinger due up.
White Sox 3, Twins 2 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 15 2:26 PM
- Adam Dunn two-out, two-run Home Run (8) to center scored Alex Rios. Paul Konerko due up.
White Sox 2, Twins 2 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 15 2:06 PM
- Eduardo Escobar one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Pedro Florimon due up.
White Sox 0, Twins 2 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 15 1:51 PM
- Josh Willingham singled to left scoring Jamey Carroll. On the play, Joe Mauer advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Justin Morneau due up.
White Sox 0, Twins 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 15 1:29 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 15 1:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22