Jays sweep GiantsMay 16, 2013 - 6:33 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Ramon Ortiz pitched seven strong innings while Adam Lind and J.P. Arencibia each hit a two-run home run as the Toronto Blue Jays took an 11-3 win over the San Francisco Giants to sweep a two-game set.
Ortiz (1-1) gave up just one run on six hits while Jose Bautista went 2-for-5 with two RBI and two runs scored for the Blue Jays, who have won four straight.
"We really are swinging the bats pretty good right now and it's nice to get on this roll," said Toronto manager John Gibbons. "We're definitely swinging the bats better right now and being more aggressive at the plate."
Ryan Vogelsong (1-4) dropped his third straight decision as he was tagged for eight runs -- three earned -- on six hits over just two innings of work for the Giants, who came into the series having taken three of four from Atlanta. Angel Pagan went 3-for-5 with a run scored in the loss.
San Francisco jumped on top in the first inning on a sacrifice fly from Pablo Sandoval that scored Pagan, but the lead was short-lived.
With one out in the bottom of the first, Bautista reached on a Marco Scutaro error and Edwin Encarnacion walked. Pagan then misplayed an Arencibia fly ball, allowing Bautista and Encarnacion to score. Lind followed that with his third homer of the season. After Brett Lawrie singled, Colby Rasmus was hit by a pitch and Emilio Bonifacio singled for a 5-1 lead.
"I can't think back to when we had two games, identical games, where we made mistakes there in the first inning. The big number there killed us, took us out of our game," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said.
In the second, Toronto continued to pour it on as Melky Cabrera led off with a double and scored on Bautista's single. Two batters later, Arencibia went deep for his 10th home run of the season and an 8-1 lead.
A Bautista RBI double and sac fly from Encarnacion in the third made it a 10-1 game.
Rasmus hit an RBI double in the sixth that scored Brett Lawrie, who had reached on a fielder's choice, for an 11-1 advantage.
In the eighth, the Giants plated a pair of runs on an RBI double from Buster Posey and a sacrifice fly by Brett Pill to make it an 11-3 game, but the team stranded two in the ninth without getting any closer.
Scutaro extended his hitting streak to 14 games with a single in the ninth inning ... The last time these two teams met was in 2010 when the Blue Jays took two of three in Toronto ... The Blue Jays play three in New York against the Yankees starting on Friday ... San Fran starts a four-game series in Colorado on Thursday.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 3
May 15 10:02 PM
- Brett Pill sacrifice fly out to center scored Joaquin Arias. Runner on second with two outs and Gregor Blanco due up.
Giants 3, Blue Jays 11 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 15 9:45 PM
- Buster Posey doubled to center scored Marco Scutaro. On the play, Joaquin Arias advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Andres Torres due up.
Giants 2, Blue Jays 11 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 15 9:40 PM
- Colby Rasmus doubled to right scored Brett Lawrie. Runner on second with one out and Emilio Bonifacio due up.
Giants 1, Blue Jays 11 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 15 9:15 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion sacrifice fly out to center scored Melky Cabrera. Runner on second with two outs and J.P. Arencibia due up.
Giants 1, Blue Jays 10 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 15 8:21 PM
- Jose Bautista doubled to left scored Munenori Kawasaki. On the play, Melky Cabrera advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Giants 1, Blue Jays 9 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 15 8:18 PM
- J.P. Arencibia one-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left scored Jose Bautista. Adam Lind due up.
Giants 1, Blue Jays 8 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 15 7:52 PM
- Jose Bautista singled to center scored Melky Cabrera. Runner on first with none out and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Giants 1, Blue Jays 6 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 15 7:49 PM
- Emilio Bonifacio singled to center scored Brett Lawrie. On the play, Colby Rasmus advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Munenori Kawasaki due up.
Giants 1, Blue Jays 5 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 15 7:35 PM
- Adam Lind one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored J.P. Arencibia. Brett Lawrie due up.
Giants 1, Blue Jays 4 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 15 7:27 PM
- J.P. Arencibia reached second on Angel Pagan's fielding error, scored Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion. Runner on second with one out and Adam Lind due up.
Giants 1, Blue Jays 2 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 15 7:25 PM
- Pablo Sandoval sacrifice fly out to center scored Angel Pagan. None on with two outs and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 15 7:12 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 15 7:08 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21