Drew, Red Sox slam RaysMay 16, 2013 - 6:29 AM
Dustin Pedroia, David Ortiz, Mike Napoli and Jonny Gomes each added an RBI during the onslaught, while Will Middlebrooks hit a late solo homer for the Red Sox, who put the brakes on a three-game skid.
Jon Lester (6-0) worked seven solid innings, giving up eight hits and two runs with five strikeouts. The 29-year-old lefty hasn't lost since Sept. 26, 2012 in a start at Fenway against Tampa, and hasn't dropped a road decision since Sept. 16 of last season at Toronto.
Desmond Jennings hit an RBI triple and Ben Zobrist also knocked in a run for the Rays, whose season-high six-game win streak came to an end.
David Price (1-4) departed after just 2 1/3 frames with tightness in his left triceps, but not before he was tagged for five hits and four runs. Jamey Wright subbed for the reigning AL Cy Young winner, but surrendered the other four BoSox runs in the inning.
The Sox exploded in their third turn at the plate. Drew opened the frame with a walk, then Jacoby Ellsbury singled. After Shane Victorino flied out, Pedroia and Ortiz slugged back-to-back RBI singles for a 2-0 game which signaled Price's exit due to injury.
Wright came on but served up a run-scoring double from Napoli and an RBI single from Gomes. He retired Middlebrooks but walked Jarrod Saltalamacchia before Drew barely cleared the wall in right for a grand slam and 8-0 lead.
"No excuses, I just stunk tonight," Wright said. "I threw two sinkers right down the middle. One got hit for a double and one got hit up the middle. Then a cutter into Drew, I tried to go up and in and I threw it right down and in right into his swing path. He hit a home run. It was awful. I didn't do my job out there today."
A Jennings triple and Zobrist groundout cut Tampa's deficit to six in the home third, but the Rays fell silent from there.
Middlebrooks' solo homer in the eighth gave Boston a 9-2 advantage and capped the rout.
"Finally, we broke out with the eight runs in one inning," Red Sox manager John Farrell said. "It gave us some cushion to allow Lester to go out and pitch. More than anything, for our guys to go up and swing with some freedom, take some at-bats with some confidence. A good night offensively, particularly in the one inning."
Jon Lester improved to 4-1 (9 earned runs) and has 45 strikeouts in 36 innings over his last six starts at Tropicana Field since the start of 2009 ... Coming into the game, Lester's 2.17 ERA in Tampa leads all pitchers with at least four starts at the Trop ... Price has not won on his home field since July 19, 2012, a span of eight starts.
- BOSTON: 9
TAMPA BAY: 2
May 15 10:42 PM
- Will Middlebrooks one-out, solo Home Run (7) to right. Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Red Sox 9, Rays 2 Top 8, 1 OutMay 15 10:00 PM
- Ben Zobrist grounded out third to first scoring Desmond Jennings with two out. None on and Evan Longoria due up.
Red Sox 8, Rays 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 15 8:40 PM
- Desmond Jennings tripled to right scoring Ryan Roberts with none out. Runner on third and Kelly Johnson due up.
Red Sox 8, Rays 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 15 8:36 PM
- Stephen Drew two-out, Grand Slam (3) to right center scored Mike Napoli, Jonny Gomes and Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 8, Rays 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 15 8:27 PM
- Jonny Gomes singled to center scoring David Ortiz with one out. On the play, Mike Napoli advances to third. Runners on first and third and Will Middlebrooks due up.
Red Sox 4, Rays 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 15 8:19 PM
- Mike Napoli doubled to right center scoring Dustin Pedroia with one out. On the play, David Ortiz advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jonny Gomes due up.
Red Sox 3, Rays 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 15 8:18 PM
- David Ortiz singled to left scoring Jacoby Ellsbury with one out. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mike Napoli due up.
Red Sox 2, Rays 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 15 8:09 PM
- Dustin Pedroia singled to right scoring Stephen Drew with one out. On the play, Jacoby Ellsbury advances to third. Runners on first and third and David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 1, Rays 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 15 8:05 PM
- BOSTON: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 15 7:11 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21