Royals jump on Angels early, take seriesMay 16, 2013 - 6:25 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Lorenzo Cain had two doubles and drove in three runs and Salvador Perez added two hits and a pair of RBI as the Kansas City Royals cruised past the LA Angels of Anaheim, 9-5, in the rubber match of a three-game set at Angels Stadium.
Billy Butler added two RBI and Jarrod Dyson, who left the game in the eighth inning after scaling the wall in center field, added an RBI triple for the Royals, winners in two of their last three.
Wade Davis (3-3) gave up four runs on nine hits and three walks while striking out two over 5 1/3 innings to earn the win.
"They have a good lineup. We wanted to get ahead of hitters and get quick outs. The offense was incredible tonight," said Davis.
Mike Trout went 2-for-3 with a homer and two RBI, while Albert Pujols, Alberto Callaspo and Chris Iannetta added one RBI apiece for the Angels, losers in three of their last four games.
Barry Enright (0-2) was charged with the loss after allowing four runs on five hits over two-plus innings.
"I felt good. The first inning was a breeze, but a couple of walks in the third hurt and they felt what was best for the team was to take me out," Enright said.
Perez got things started for the Royals with his ground-rule double in the second inning that scored Mike Moustakas.
Kansas City broke the game open with a seven-run third. With the bases loaded, Butler laced a base hit to left to score Dyson and Alcides Escobar. Eric Hosmer then walked before Cain crushed a bases-clearing double to left field to make it 6-0.
"He left a fastball up and I put a good swing on it and drove it down the line. Coming in here and taking two games was big for us," said Cain.
With runners on second and third later in the frame, Iannetta let Mark Lowe's fastball skip to the backstop, allowing Cain to cross the plate. Dyson, who opened the inning with a walk, hit an RBI triple down the line in right to cap the inning.
Pujols added an RBI single in the home half, and Iannetta singled home Howie Kendrick in the fourth to pull the Halos within 8-2.
The Angels added two more in the sixth. Callaspo's sacrifice fly scored Josh Hamilton, and Trout worked a bases-loaded walk to score Kendrick. Pujols, though, grounded out to Moustakas to end the threat.
Perez added an RBI single in the seventh and Trout's solo homer in the eight accounted for the final difference.
Dyson was injured after scaling the fence in an attempt to rob Trout of the homer. As Dyson tried to climb down, it appeared that his cleats got stuck into the fence. Dyson walked off the field under his own power.
Longtime Royals radio voice Fred White passed away on Wednesday due to complications from melanoma. He served as the team's radio broadcaster for 25 years ... Butler finished with nine RBI in the series ... Kansas City was 7- for-12 with runners in scoring position ... The Royals continue their nine- game road trip on Friday when they visit the Oakland A's ... The Angels open a four-game set with the White Sox on Thursday ... Pujols, Trout, Kendrick and Callaspo all had two hits.
- KANSAS CITY: 9
LOS ANGELES: 5
May 16 1:44 AM
- Mike Trout two-out, solo Home Run (8) to center. Albert Pujols due up.
Royals 9, Angels 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 16 1:20 AM
- Salvador Perez single to center scored Lorenzo Cain with one out. Runner on first and Elliot Johnson due up.
Royals 9, Angels 4 Top 7, 1 OutMay 16 12:50 AM
- Mike Trout walk scored Howie Kendrick with two out. Bases loaded and Albert Pujols due up.
Royals 8, Angels 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 16 12:38 AM
- Alberto Callaspo sacrifice fly out to center scored Josh Hamilton with one out. Runner on first and Chris Iannetta due up.
Royals 8, Angels 3 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 16 12:24 AM
- Chris Iannetta single to right scored Howie Kendrick with one out. On the play, Alberto Callaspo advanced to third. Runners on first and third and J.B. Shuck due up.
Royals 8, Angels 2 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 15 11:42 PM
- Albert Pujols single to left scored Mike Trout with two out. Runner on first and Mark Trumbo due up.
Royals 8, Angels 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 15 11:22 PM
- Jarrod Dyson triple to right scored Elliot Johnson with two out. Runner on third and Alcides Escobar due up.
Royals 8, Angels 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 15 11:10 PM
- Elliot Johnson advanced to third and Lorenzo Cain scored on a Chris Iannetta passed ball with two out. Runner on third and Jarrod Dyson at the plate.
Royals 7, Angels 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 15 11:09 PM
- Lorenzo Cain double to left scored Alex Gordon, Billy Butler and Eric Hosmer with none out. Runner on second and Mike Moustakas due up.
Royals 6, Angels 0 Top 3, 0 OutsMay 15 10:59 PM
- Billy Butler single to left scored Jarrod Dyson and Alcides Escobar with none out. On the play, Alex Gordon advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Eric Hosmer due up.
Royals 3, Angels 0 Top 3, 0 OutsMay 15 10:54 PM
- Salvador Perez ground-rule double to right scored Mike Moustakas with two out. Runner on second and Elliot Johnson due up.
Royals 1, Angels 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 15 10:31 PM
- KANSAS CITY: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 15 10:07 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22