Ortiz clubs two homers as Red Sox pound TwinsMay 19, 2013 - 4:34 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - David Ortiz smacked a pair of homers against his former team and accounted for six RBI, as the Boston Red Sox topped the Minnesota Twins, 12-5, at Target Field.
Daniel Nava added a two-run blast and drove in three for the Red Sox, who won their fourth straight game.
Ryan Dempster labored through 4 2/3 innings by throwing 127 pitches. The right-hander allowed eight hits, six walks and five runs.
"He had a hard time keeping his fastball down in the strike zone. He found a way to navigate through some things," Red Sox manager John Farrell said of Dempster.
Craig Breslow (1-0) threw 1 2/3 shutout frames to get credit for the win.
Scott Diamond (3-4) yielded eight hits and six runs over 4 1/3 innings and Pedro Florimon had a pair of RBI for the Twins, losers of four in a row.
"He was pretty much behind and up in the zone and was unable to make adjustments," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said of Diamond. "He couldn't get the ball where he wanted to. It was a tough night there."
Ortiz, who played his first six seasons in the majors for the Twins, is hitting .332 with 15 homers and 43 RBI in 53 games against his former club.
A big defensive play in the game came after the Twins loaded the bases in the sixth inning. Minnesota trailed 7-5 at the time. Aaron Hicks popped out to second baseman Dustin Pedroia, whose throw to the plate was in time to get Ryan Doumit. Catcher Ryan Lavarnway absorbed the blow at home.
Ortiz homered to right-center with Pedroia aboard in the seventh and Nava went deep off Casey Fien to the same part of the field later in the frame for an 11-5 cushion.
Ortiz walked in the ninth and scored on Lavarnway's sacrifice fly.
Ortiz smacked a three-run homer to right-center in the opening inning, but Florimon singled in a run in the second.
Jonny Gomes came home on Ortiz's line-drive base hit to right in the third before the Twins got within 4-2 in the fourth on Justin Morneau's RBI hit. Joe Mauer, who sat out Friday's game due to a stiff back, extended his hitting streak to 15 games with a double into the left field corner prior to Morneau's hit.
Each team scored three times in the fifth with Pedroia's RBI double highlighting Boston's half of the frame. Florimon and Jamey Carroll singled in runs for the Twins in the bottom portion.
Ortiz now has 408 career homers, moving past Duke Snider (407) into 49th place on the all-time list. He also has five homers in 10 games at Target Field. He has 38 multi-homer games with the Red Sox. That's the most in team history, surpassing Ted Williams, who had 37. Pedroia has a 10-game hitting streak ... Boston is 8-3 at Target Field since it opened in 2010.
- BOSTON: 12
May 18 11:06 PM
- Ryan Lavarnway sacrifice fly out to right scored David Ortiz with two outs. Runners on first and second and Pedro Ciriaco due up.
Red Sox 12, Twins 5 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 18 10:59 PM
- Daniel Nava none-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right center scored Mike Napoli. Will Middlebrooks due up.
Red Sox 11, Twins 5 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 18 10:20 PM
- David Ortiz none-out, two-run Home Run 2 (7) to right center scored Dustin Pedroia. Mike Napoli due up.
Red Sox 9, Twins 5 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 18 10:12 PM
- Jamey Carroll singled to right scored Pedro Florimon with two outs. Runner on first and Joe Mauer due up.
Red Sox 7, Twins 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 18 9:34 PM
- Pedro Florimon singled to right scored Aaron Hicks with two outs. Runner on first and Jamey Carroll due up.
Red Sox 7, Twins 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 18 9:30 PM
- Trevor Plouffe grounded out short to first scored Ryan Doumit with two outs. None on and Aaron Hicks due up.
Red Sox 7, Twins 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 18 9:23 PM
- Ryan Lavarnway singled to left scored Mike Napoli with two outs. On the play, Will Middlebrooks out at 3rd on the throw, left fielder to catcher to shortstop, to end the inning.
Red Sox 7, Twins 2 Mid 5May 18 9:19 PM
- Daniel Nava sacrifice fly out to left scored Dustin Pedroia with two outs. Runner on first and Will Middlebrooks due up.
Red Sox 6, Twins 2 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 18 9:14 PM
- Dustin Pedroia doubled to right scored Jonny Gomes with none out. Runner on second and David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 5, Twins 2 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 18 9:04 PM
- Justin Morneau singled to right scored Joe Mauer with two outs. Runner on first and Josh Willingham due up.
Red Sox 4, Twins 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 18 8:57 PM
- David Ortiz singled to right scored Jonny Gomes with one out. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mike Napoli due up.
Red Sox 4, Twins 1 Top 3, 1 OutMay 18 8:15 PM
- Pedro Florimon singled to center scored Oswaldo Arcia with two outs. On the play, Aaron Hicks advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jamey Carroll due up.
Red Sox 3, Twins 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 18 8:00 PM
- David Ortiz one-out, three-run Home Run (6) to right center scored Jacoby Ellsbury and Dustin Pedroia. Mike Napoli due up.
Red Sox 3, Twins 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 18 7:23 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 18 7:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21