Red Sox finish off sweep of TwinsMay 20, 2013 - 4:44 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Dustin Pedroia clubbed a two-run homer and finished with three RBI, while John Lackey spun six stellar innings of one-hit ball to help the Boston Red Sox complete a three-game sweep of the Minnesota Twins with a 5-1 win Sunday at Target Field.
Lackey (2-4) struck out five without walking a batter and allowed just one unearned run to halt a personal three-game skid in his 300th career start.
"I definitely wanted to go at least another inning," Lackey said. "I was definitely frustrated not to keep going, but the bullpen came in a did a great job, and winning the game is really all that matters."
Pedroia also scored twice and singled in the fifth inning to extend his hitting streak to 11 games, while Will Middlebrooks scorched a solo shot in the second for the Red Sox, who have won five straight games.
Pedro Hernandez (2-1) was touched for three runs on nine hits over 4 1/3 frames to absorb the loss.
"It's frustrating," Hernandez said. "I've faced this team three times and they've beat me three times."
Trevor Plouffe registered two of Minnesota's five hits and scored the lone run in the Twins' fifth straight setback.
Middlebrooks' blast gave the visitors a 1-0 lead before Boston doubled its edge in the third.
Shane Victorino worked a one-out walk and moved to third on Jonny Gomes' single to center. Pedroia then ripped a grounder to third where Plouffe tried to start an inning-ending double-play, but his throw was off the mark and allowed Victorino to score for a 2-0 advantage.
The Red Sox scored again in the fifth, when Pedroia and David Ortiz smacked consecutive one-out singles before Mike Napoli followed with a base hit of his own to score Pedroia and make it 3-0.
Lackey kept the Twins off the basepaths over the first four frames, but served up a leadoff double to Plouffe in the fifth.
After plunking Oswaldo Arcia, Lackey fanned Wilkin Ramirez and then got Chris Parmelee to ground one to second. Pedroia made the play on Parmelee's grounder and threw to second to start a potential inning-ending double-play, but Pedro Ciriaco's relay throw to first was off the mark and Plouffe crossed the plate to bring the Twins within 3-1.
After a three-hour rain delay in the middle of the seventh, the Twins threatened again the eighth, as Ramirez ripped a leadoff double for the team's second hit of the game. Pedro Florimon kept the inning alive with a two-out walk and Jamey Carroll followed with a single to left to load the bases, but Koji Uehara fanned Joe Mauer to escape the threat.
Pedroia then padded Boston's lead with a two-run shot to left in the ninth to make it 5-1.
Mauer went 0-for-4 to end his 15-game hitting streak ... Boston went 3-for-13 with runners in scoring position and left 11 on base ... Minnesota finished 1- for-9 with RISP and stranded six baserunners ... The series sweep was Boston's fourth of the season, eclipsing the team's mark from all of last season (3) ... The Twins finished a nine-game homestand at 2-7.
- BOSTON: 5
May 19 8:28 PM
- Dustin Pedroia one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left center scored Jonny Gomes. David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 5, Twins 1 Top 9, 1 OutMay 19 8:07 PM
- Chris Parmelee grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short. Oswaldo Arcia out at second. Trevor Plouffe scored on Pedro Ciriaco's throwing error with two out. Runner on first and Aaron Hicks due up.
Red Sox 3, Twins 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 19 4:08 PM
- Mike Napoli single to center scored Dustin Pedroia with one out. On the play, David Ortiz advances to second. Runners on first and second and Daniel Nava due up.
Red Sox 3, Twins 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 19 3:48 PM
- Dustin Pedroia reached first on force attempt, throwing error by Trevor Plouffe. On the play, Shane Victorino scored with one out. Jonny Gomes advances to third. Runners on first and third and David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 2, Twins 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 19 3:07 PM
- Will Middlebrooks two-out, solo Home Run (8) to right center. Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Red Sox 1, Twins 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 19 2:39 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 19 2:13 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21