Indians win in extras to sweep MarinersMay 21, 2013 - 1:14 AM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - The Cleveland Indians walked off in more dramatic fashion this time.
Yan Gomes' game-winning three-run homer in the bottom of the 10th inning lifted the Tribe to a 10-8 win and a four-game sweep of the Seattle Mariners.
The Indians, who tallied walk-off wins in the first two games of this set, rallied in the home ninth after Seattle plated a run in the top half of the inning to send the game into extras. After the Mariners pushed another run across to go ahead in the 10th, the Tribe roared back again.
Charlie Furbush (0-3) allowed a leadoff single to Michael Brantley before first baseman Justin Smoak was unable to hang onto Furbush's throw on Drew Stubbs' sacrifice bunt attempt.
The count was full before Gomes belted a fastball just over the wall in left field for his second homer of the game and give Cleveland its fifth straight victory and 18th in its last 22.
"They're probably the hottest team in baseball and things are going their way," Seattle manager Eric Wedge said.
Kyle Seager, Endy Chavez and Smoak cracked solo shots in the eighth, ninth and 10th innings for Seattle, which has dropped six of its last nine contests.
"You don't look up very often and see your opponent score three straight innings and you win," Indians manager Terry Francona said.
The M's got a game-tying homer in the eighth when Seager ripped a solo shot to right and the pinch-hitter Chavez put them ahead in the ninth when he led off the frame with a blast that just crept over the wall in right center to give Seattle a 7-6 advantage.
Cleveland put runners on first and second with two outs against Tom Wilhelmsen before Carlos Santana grounded one to first. Smoak made a diving stab, but Wilhelmsen, covering first on the play, was unable to handle the throw and the tying run scored from second to make it 7-7.
Smoak wrapped a two-out solo shot around the right field foul pole against Joe Smith (2-0) to vault Seattle to an 8-7 cushion in the 10th.
Earlier, Kendrys Morales banged a two-out RBI double off the wall in left and Michael Morse brought him home with a single in the opening frame to give Seattle a 2-0 lead, but the Tribe roared back with four two-out runs in the second.
Ryan Raburn drilled a three-run shot deep into the seats in left and Gomes followed by mashing a fastball over the heart of the plate onto the concourse in left for a 4-2 Indians lead.
Morales had an RBI single and with runners on the corners and one away, Morse grounded into a double play to plate another run and knot the tilt at 4-4 in the visitors half.
Brantley's run-scoring single through the hole on the right side in the third put the Tribe back on top, 5-4, but Seattle got the run back in the fourth on Brendan Ryan's RBI groundout.
Cabrera's RBI groundout in the seventh made it 6-5 in favor of Cleveland.
Cleveland last recorded a four-game sweep over the Indians in 1981 ... Indians starter Scott Kazmir allowed five runs on seven hits and two walks in three innings, while Seattle starter Hisashi Iwakuma surrendered five runs on seven hits and three walks over six frames.
- Yan Gomes none-out, three-run Home Run 2 (4) to left scored Michael Brantley and Drew Stubbs.
Mariners 8, Indians 10 Bot 10, 0 OutsMay 20 3:57 PM
- Justin Smoak two-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Endy Chavez due up.
Mariners 8, Indians 7 Top 10, 2 OutsMay 20 3:44 PM
- Carlos Santana reached first on Tom Wilhelmsen's fielding error scored Jason Kipnis. On the play, Mike Aviles advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Mark Reynolds due up.
Mariners 7, Indians 7 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 20 3:38 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Endy Chavez lead-off Home Run (1) to center. Robert Andino due up.
Mariners 7, Indians 6 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 20 3:12 PM
- Kyle Seager lead-off Home Run (6) to right. Kendrys Morales due up.
Mariners 6, Indians 6 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 20 2:51 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera infield single to pitcher scored Michael Bourn. Runner on first with one out and Nick Swisher due up.
Mariners 5, Indians 6 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 20 2:40 PM
- Brendan Ryan grounded out short to first scored Kelly Shoppach. On the play, Robert Andino advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Michael Saunders due up.
Mariners 5, Indians 5 Top 4, 1 OutMay 20 1:32 PM
- Michael Brantley singled to right scored Nick Swisher. On the play, Mark Reynolds advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Ryan Raburn due up.
Mariners 4, Indians 5 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 20 1:19 PM
- Michael Morse grounded into a double play, second to short to first scored Kyle Seager. On the play, Kendrys Morales out at second. None on with two outs and Justin Smoak due up.
Mariners 4, Indians 4 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 20 1:05 PM
- Kendrys Morales single to center scored Jason Bay. On the play, Kyle Seager advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Michael Morse due up.
Mariners 3, Indians 4 Top 3, 0 OutsMay 20 1:02 PM
- Yan Gomes two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Michael Bourn due up.
Mariners 2, Indians 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 20 12:50 PM
- Ryan Raburn two-out, three-run Home Run (5) to left scored Carlos Santana and Michael Brantley. Yan Gomes due up.
Mariners 2, Indians 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 20 12:48 PM
- Michael Morse single to center scored Kendrys Morales. Runner on first with two outs and Justin Smoak due up.
Mariners 2, Indians 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 20 12:15 PM
- Kendrys Morales double to left scored Jason Bay. Runner on second with two outs and Michael Morse due up.
Mariners 1, Indians 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 20 12:13 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 20 12:08 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21