Johnson blows third straight save as Yanks top O'sMay 21, 2013 - 5:24 AM
The Yankees belted four solo home runs, with the last one by Travis Hafner tying the game in the ninth. The one-out blast to left field was served up by Baltimore closer Jim Johnson, who suffered his third consecutive blown save after converting a club-record 35 straight.
After David Robertson (3-0) shut down the Orioles in the bottom of the ninth, New York quickly jumped on Pedro Strop (0-2).
Ichiro Suzuki ripped a pitch into the right-field corner for a leadoff double and Wells followed with a hit that bounced over the left-field wall. Wells later scored on a two-out single by Hafner.
Mariano Rivera tossed a flawless bottom of the 10th to collect his 17th save of the season.
Robinson Cano, David Adams and Lyle Overbay also homered for the Yankees, who have won three straight games and 10 of their last 13.
Baltimore has lost a season-high six in a row. The Orioles have also dropped seven straight at home for the first time since an 11-game slide Aug. 22-Sept. 7, 2007.
"We have a challenge ahead of us," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. "But our guys will turn the page, show up and be ready."
The Orioles entered the home half of the seventh down 3-2 after Overbay homered off freshly inserted Troy Patton to open the top of the inning. Patton had relieved starter and former Yankee Freddy Garcia, who was removed despite only throwing 66 pitches.
Alexi Casilla led off the bottom of the frame with a single and scored the tying run when Nick Markakis placed a double in the left-center field gap. Two batters later, J.J. Hardy drove an offering from New York starter CC Sabathia down the right-field line for a run-scoring double.
Garcia, who pitched for the Yankees the past two seasons, only allowed three hits -- two of which were homers -- in his six-inning outing. Sabathia was tagged for four runs on a season-high 11 hits in 6 1/3 innings.
The first three hits of the game were solo home runs. Cano took Garcia deep to left-center field in the opening frame, and Adams' first major league blast, a liner just inside the left-field foul pole, made it 2-0 New York in the second.
"It was special," Adams said of his first homer.
Chris Davis put Baltimore on the board in its half of the second, then Markakis tied things up in the fifth with an RBI single.
The Yankees improved to 19-0 when scoring first this season ... New York also won for the first time in 2013 when trailing after eight innings (1-16) ... Suzuki has now hit safely in each of his last 20 games at Camden Yards ... Reid Brignac made his Yankees debut, going 0-for-2 and playing shortstop. Brignac was acquired from Colorado in exchange for cash considerations on Saturday ... The Yankees took two of three from the Orioles at home last month.
- NEW YORK: 6
May 20 10:40 PM
- Travis Hafner singled to right scoring Vernon Wells. On the play, Robinson Cano advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Lyle Overbay due up.
Yankees 6, Orioles 4 Top 10, 2 OutsMay 20 10:27 PM
- Vernon Wells ground-rule double to left scored Ichiro Suzuki. Runner on second with none out and Austin Romine due up.
Yankees 5, Orioles 4 Top 10, 0 OutsMay 20 10:19 PM
- Travis Hafner one-out, solo Home Run (8) to left. Lyle Overbay is due up.
Yankees 4, Orioles 4 Top 9, 1 OutMay 20 9:57 PM
- J.J. Hardy doubled to right scoring Nick Markakis. Runner on second with one out and Adam Jones due up.
Yankees 3, Orioles 4 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 20 9:12 PM
- Nick Markakis doubled to left-center scoring Alexi Casilla. Runner on second with none out and Manny Machado due up.
Yankees 3, Orioles 3 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 20 9:11 PM
- Lyle Overbay lead-off Home Run (7) to right. Curtis Granderson is due up.
Yankees 3, Orioles 2 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 20 8:59 PM
- Nick Markakis singled to center scoring Steve Pearce. Runner on first with one out and Manny Machado due up.
Yankees 2, Orioles 2 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 20 8:28 PM
- Chris Davis one-out, solo Home Run (13) to right-center. Matt Wieters is due up.
Yankees 2, Orioles 1 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 20 7:38 PM
- David Adams one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Ichiro Suzuki is due up.
Yankees 2, Orioles 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 20 7:28 PM
- Robinson Cano one-out, solo Home Run (13) to left-center. Travis Hafner is due up.
Yankees 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 20 7:14 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 20 7:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21