Tigers whip Tribe as Scherzer remains unbeatenMay 22, 2013 - 5:59 AM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - Miguel Cabrera hit a two-run homer, while Andy Dirks added a solo shot and two RBI as Detroit downed Cleveland, 5-1, in the first of a two-game set.
Prince Fielder knocked in the other run and Victor Martinez contributed three hits for the Tigers, who had dropped four of five coming in.
Max Scherzer (6-0) worked eight strong innings, giving up just two hits and one run while striking out seven with one walk. He retired the final 22 batters he faced after giving up Cleveland's lone run in the bottom of the first inning, including a 98 m.p.h. fastball to Drew Stubbs to complete his outing.
"He knew that was going to be it," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "He really cranked it up. That was pretty impressive."
Michael Bourn finished with two hits and scored the lone run on Michael Brantley's sacrifice fly for the Indians, whose five-game win streak came to an end.
Corey Kluber (3-3) lasted 6 1/3 frames in defeat, allowing eight hits and three runs despite fanning eight.
Dirks began the sixth with a solo homer, and after Torii Hunter doubled, Cabrera's two-run shot put Detroit up 3-1.
"With nobody out, you're asking for trouble," Francona said of his decision to pitch to last season's Triple Crown winner. "If you walk him and you have first and second with nobody out, you're putting your pitcher in a tough spot."
The Tigers pushed two more runs across in the ninth to seal the victory. Alex Avila drew a one-out walk off David Huff, then Omar Infante and Dirks hit back-to-back singles to provide a 4-1 margin.
Matt Albers took the mound to retire Hunter on a grounder which moved both runners into scoring position. After Cabrera was given a free pass to load the bases, Fielder's base hit scored Infante for a four-run bulge.
Jose Valverde then stranded two runners in the bottom of the ninth by inducing a game-ending pop out from Carlos Santana.
Bourn kicked off the home first with a single, went to third on a one-out hit from Asdrubal Cabrera then crossed the plate on Brantley's fly to right field.
Scherzer could do little wrong from there and struck out the last four batters he faced.
The Tigers improved to 7-2 when Scherzer takes the mound this season ... The 28-year-old right-hander tied a career best by winning six decisions from the start of a season without a loss, equaling the commencement to his 2011 campaign ... Infante added two hits in the Detroit victory ... Prior to the game, the Tigers purchased the contract of pitcher Luke Putkonen from Triple-A Toledo ... Cleveland pitchers fanned 14 Tigers in the setback.
- DETROIT: 5
May 21 10:17 PM
- Prince Fielder singled to right scoring Omar Infante with two out. On the play, Miguel Cabrera advances to second and Andy Dirks advances to third. Bases loaded and Victor Martinez due up.
Tigers 5, Indians 1 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 21 9:59 PM
- Andy Dirks singled to center scoring Alex Avila with one out. On the play, Omar Infante advances to second. Runners on first and second and Torii Hunter due up.
Tigers 4, Indians 1 Top 9, 1 OutMay 21 9:52 PM
- Miguel Cabrera none-out, two-run Home Run (12) to center scored Torii Hunter. Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 3, Indians 1 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 21 8:38 PM
- Andy Dirks lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Torii Hunter due up.
Tigers 1, Indians 1 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 21 8:35 PM
- Michael Brantley sacrifice fly to right scored Michael Bourn with two out. Runner on first and Carlos Santana due up.
Tigers 0, Indians 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 21 7:25 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 21 7:08 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22