Tribe rips Red Sox as Francona returns to BostonMay 24, 2013 - 3:12 AM Boston, MA (Sports Network) - The Cleveland Indians' bats made Terry Francona's return to Fenway Park as an opposing manager a resounding success.
Mark Reynolds and Drew Stubbs each had three hits with three RBI in Cleveland's 12-3 rout of the Boston Red Sox.
Francona led the Red Sox to two World Series titles during his eight-year stint as the club's skipper. He was let go after Boston's late-season collapse in 2011 left them out of the playoffs, but ended his tenure with a 744-552 record.
The Indians pounded out 16 hits in the opener of a four-game series. Michael Bourn and Yan Gomes knocked in two runs apiece, while Carlos Santana drew a career-high four walks and scored three times.
Cleveland starter Zach McAllister (4-3) held the Red Sox to five hits. The only blemish over his five-inning outing was a three-run homer by David Ortiz.
Ryan Dempster (2-5) lasted just three innings in the start for Boston. He allowed four runs on five hits and four walks.
The Indians scored at least one run in five consecutive innings from the second through the sixth. They pushed three across in the third to go up 4-0.
Cleveland loaded the bases with one out and Reynolds drove a pitch to the gap in left-center for a two-run single. After a walk to Gomes filled the sacks once more, a fielder's choice groundout from Mike Aviles plated another run.
Ortiz took McAllister deep to right field in the home half, but the Indians produced a run in each of the next two frames before a six-spot in the sixth turned the game into a lopsided affair.
Cleveland sent 10 men to the plate in the inning, with the first five reaching against Boston's Clayton Mortensen and Alex Wilson.
The Indians loaded the bases with no outs on two walks sandwiched around a Michael Brantley single, and Reynolds greeted Wilson with an RBI base hit before Gomes followed with a two-run double down the left-field line. The hit came one pitch after Boston first baseman Mike Napoli dropped a pop up in foul territory.
Two batters later, Stubbs tripled home a pair and scored on a Bourn base hit to cap the barrage.
The Indians snapped a two-game losing streak and won for the sixth time in their last eight tilts ... Boston third baseman Will Middlebrooks left after the fourth inning with lower-back spasms ... The Red Sox returned home after a 6-3 road trip ... Dempster was 3-0 with a 1.42 ERA in his four previous career starts against the Indians ... The Red Sox swept a three-game series in Cleveland from April 16-18.
- CLEVELAND: 12
May 23 10:47 PM
- Michael Bourn singled to right scoring Drew Stubbs with one out. Runner on first and Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 12, Red Sox 3 Top 6, 1 OutMay 23 9:48 PM
- Drew Stubbs tripled to center scoring Mark Reynolds and Yan Gomes with one out. Runner on third and Michael Bourn due up.
Indians 11, Red Sox 3 Top 6, 1 OutMay 23 9:45 PM
- Yan Gomes doubled to left scoring Michael Brantley and Carlos Santana with none out. On the play, Mark Reynolds advances to third. Runners on second and third and Mike Aviles due up.
Indians 9, Red Sox 3 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 23 9:41 PM
- Mark Reynolds singled to center scoring Asdrubal Cabrera with none out. On the play, Carlos Santana advances to second and Michael Brantley advances to third. Bases loaded and Yan Gomes due up.
Indians 7, Red Sox 3 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 23 9:38 PM
- Michael Bourn singled to right scoring Mike Aviles with two out. Runner on first and Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 6, Red Sox 3 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 23 9:11 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera singled to left scoring Michael Bourn with one out. Runner on first and Michael Brantley due up.
Indians 5, Red Sox 3 Top 4, 1 OutMay 23 8:45 PM
- David Ortiz one-out, three-run Home Run (8) to right scored Daniel Nava and Dustin Pedroia. Mike Napoli due up.
Indians 4, Red Sox 3 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 23 8:33 PM
- Mike Aviles grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second, scoring Carlos Santana with two out. Yan Gomes out at second. Mark Reynolds advances to third. Runners on first and third and Drew Stubbs due up.
Indians 4, Red Sox 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 23 8:21 PM
- Mark Reynolds singled to center scoring Asdrubal Cabrera and Michael Brantley with one out. On the play, Carlos Santana advances to second. Runners on first and second and Yan Gomes due up.
Indians 3, Red Sox 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 23 8:15 PM
- Drew Stubbs doubled to first, deflected by second, scoring Carlos Santana with two out. On the play, Mark Reynolds advances to third. Runners on second and third and Michael Bourn due up.
Indians 1, Red Sox 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 23 7:44 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 23 7:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21
- Boston's Kelly has no-bid broken up after 6 2/3 innings May 21