Harang tosses shutout as Mariners crush PadresMay 28, 2013 - 5:18 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Aaron Harang pitched his seventh career shutout as the Seattle Mariners blanked the San Diego Padres, 9-0, in the opener of a two-game set at Safeco Field.
Harang (2-5), who came into the game with an 8.58 ERA, allowed just four hits and two walks in his 13th career complete game and first since 2009, when he was a member of the Reds.
"He hit the spots all day," said Mariners manager Eric Wedge. "Did a great job with his fastball ... thought he did a nice job of dropping that breaking ball in there from time to time to keep them honest. Just did a great job controlling the ballgame."
Michael Morse hit a three-run home run, Jason Bay and Kelly Shoppach each had solo shots and Kendrys Morales drove in two runs in the victory.
San Diego starter Clayton Richard (0-5), who was reinstated from the 15-day disabled list prior to the game, gave up five runs on seven hits and a walk over six innings.
"It was a rough start," said Richard. "They were able to jump on some pitches that weren't executed as well but that's baseball. Really, you have to give them some credit because it just didn't go our way."
The Mariners scored four runs immediately in the first. Bay homered to begin the game. Kyle Seager drew a walk and Morales doubled to set up Morse's three- run blast.
Shoppach's solo shot started the fourth.
Seattle added five more runs in the seventh. Brendan Ryan singled while Bay and Seager were walked to load the bases. Morales' single scored Ryan and Bay. Seager came home on a wild pitch by reliever Anthony Bass. After Morse popped out, Ibanez ripped a double to right, plating Morales.
Harang made his 300th career start ... Morales went 3-for-5. He is 9-for-19 with seven RBI in his last four games ... Bay made his fourth start in the leadoff spot ... The Padres have been shut out three times this season ... The Mariners have won just three of their last nine games against San Diego at Safeco Field.
- SAN DIEGO: 0
May 27 6:40 PM
- Raul Ibanez double to right scored Kendrys Morales. Runner on second with one out and Kelly Shoppach due up.
Padres 0, Mariners 9 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 27 6:04 PM
- Kyle Seager scored on an Anthony Bass wild pitch. Kendrys Morales advances to second on the wild pitch. Runner on second with none out and Michael Morse at the plate.
Padres 0, Mariners 8 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 27 6:02 PM
- Kendrys Morales single to left scored Brendan Ryan and Jason Bay. On the play, Kyle Seager advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Michael Morse due up.
Padres 0, Mariners 7 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 27 5:58 PM
- Kelly Shoppach lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Endy Chavez due up.
Padres 0, Mariners 5 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 27 5:04 PM
- Michael Morse none-out, three-run Home Run (11) to right center scored Kyle Seager and Kendrys Morales. Raul Ibanez due up.
Padres 0, Mariners 4 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 27 4:26 PM
- Jason Bay lead-off Home Run (5) to center. Kyle Seager due up.
Padres 0, Mariners 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 27 4:22 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 27 4:11 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22