Volquez pitches Padres past MarinersMay 29, 2013 - 6:57 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Edinson Volquez hurled 7 2/3 innings of one-run ball to guide the San Diego Padres to a 6-1 win over the Seattle Mariners on Tuesday.
Volquez (4-5) gave up four hits and walked three while striking out five to pick up his first win since May 5.
Jedd Gyorko hit a two-run homer and scored twice and Mark Kotsay drove in a pair for the Padres, who had dropped five of their last six games entering the contest.
Jesus Sucre's sacrifice fly in the second inning provided the lone run for the Mariners, losers in nine of their last 11 games.
Brandon Maurer (2-7) was tagged for six runs -- five earned -- on nine hits over 5 2/3 innings to absorb the loss.
With the bases loaded and one out in the second, Sucre lifted a fly ball to right field to score Michael Morse. Volquez was able to get out of the early jam after getting Brendan Ryan to fly out to end the inning.
Gyorko put the Padres ahead in the fourth with his two-run shot. It was his sixth homer of the season.
The Mariners looked to add another run in the fourth. With Morse on first base, Michael Saunders ripped an extra-base hit to the wall in right-center field. Alexi Amarista fired the relay throw to Everth Cabrera, who turned and delivered a strike as Morse was sliding into the plate.
"Great play. It was a touch offline, but strength to the throw and (Grandal) got back in front of the plate, protected home. It was a big out for us, a big momentum swing for us," said Padres manager Bud Black.
Morse apparently injured his right quad on the play and left the game.
Amarista added a solo homer in the fifth inning and San Diego scored three more in the sixth to take a 6-1 lead.
With the bases loaded and one out, Kotsay laced a base hit to center field to score Yonder Alonso and Yasmani Grandal. Chris Denorfia drove in Gyorko two batter later on Nick Franklin's fielding error at second base.
Volquez is 4-0 over six career starts against the Mariners ... The Padres have won six of the last eight games against Seattle ... The Mariners were 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position and left seven men on base ... Maurer has dropped four straight decisions and hasn't won since April 25.
- SAN DIEGO: 6
May 29 12:47 AM
- Alexi Amarista reached first on Nick Franklin's fielding error scored Jedd Gyorko. On the play, Everth Cabrera advances to second and Mark Kotsay advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and Chase Headley due up.
Padres 6, Mariners 1 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 28 11:51 PM
- Mark Kotsay singled to center scored Yonder Alonso and Yasmani Grandal. On the play, Jedd Gyorko advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Will Venable due up.
Padres 5, Mariners 1 Top 6, 1 OutMay 28 11:37 PM
- Alexi Amarista two-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Chase Headley due up.
Padres 3, Mariners 1 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 28 11:19 PM
- Jedd Gyorko two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Carlos Quentin. Mark Kotsay due up.
Padres 2, Mariners 1 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 28 11:06 PM
- Jesus Sucre sacrifice fly to right scored Michael Morse. On the play, Michael Saunders advances to third. Runners on first and third and with two outs and Brendan Ryan due up.
Padres 0, Mariners 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 28 10:41 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 28 10:10 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22