Twins hold off BrewersMay 31, 2013 - 6:38 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - The Minnesota Twins used the long ball to surge ahead and then sweated it out at the end.
Brian Dozier, Joe Mauer and Ryan Doumit homered in a four-run fourth inning as the Twins edged the Milwaukee Brewers, 8-6, to sweep the four-game, home-and- home set.
Chris Parmelee smacked a solo shot and added an RBI groundout for the Twins, who have won five of their last six tilts. P.J. Walters (2-0) surrendered four runs on 10 hits and a walk over six frames to pick up the win.
"I know they're going to swing, so I just try to make good pitches. If you make good pitches, you're going to get them out," said Walters. "Knowing that they're going to swing doesn't change my approach, but at the same time you have a lineup with guys that can hurt you. If you miss over the plate they're going to hit it hard."
Jared Burton fired a 1-2-3 ninth to tally his second save of the season.
Logan Schafer had a three-run triple and Kyle Lohse (1-6) gave up six runs on eight hits and a walk over 4 2/3 innings for Milwaukee, which has dropped six contests in a row.
"I was glad to see the offense swing the bats today, but we've got to get the pitching lined up," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "Instead of always trying to catch up like we've been doing, we need to get some leads."
The Twins jumped out to a 6-0 advantage after five innings.
Parmelee drilled a no-doubt leadoff shot onto the concourse in right in the third, while Dozier and Mauer cracked back-to-back blasts into the seats in left to start the fourth. Justin Morneau singled two batters later before Doumit smashed a moonshot over the high wall in right-center to vault Minnesota to a 5-0 advantage.
Mauer's two-out, RBI single pushed the spread to six in the fifth, but Milwaukee pushed across three two-out runs in the sixth to cut the deficit in half.
Aramis Ramirez worked a walk before back-to-back base hits by Jonathan Lucroy and Yuniesky Betancourt loaded the bags for Schafer, who ripped a bases- clearing triple into the gap in right-center to make it 6-3.
The Twins countered in the home half on Parmelee's RBI groundout, but Ryan Braun's sacrifice fly in the seventh cut the gap to 7-4.
Josh Willingham's RBI single in the bottom of the seventh again made it a four-run margin before Milwaukee again answered in the eighth with a pair of RBI groundouts by Jeff Bianchi and Carlos Gomez.
Parmelee and Mauer both have five homers on the year ... Milwaukee was 2- for-13 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base.
- MILWAUKEE: 6
May 30 11:08 PM
- Carlos Gomez's ground out short to first scored Rickie Weeks with two out. None on and Jean Segura due up.
Brewers 6, Twins 8 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 30 10:41 PM
- Jeff Bianchi's ground out short to first scored Logan Schafer with one out. On the play, Rickie Weeks advances to third. Runner on third and Carlos Gomez due up.
Brewers 5, Twins 8 Top 8, 1 OutMay 30 10:36 PM
- Josh Willingham single to left scored Brian Dozier with two out. Runner on first and Justin Morneau due up.
Brewers 4, Twins 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 30 10:28 PM
- Ryan Braun sacrifice fly out to center scored Jeff Bianchi with one out. On the play, Carlos Gomez advances to third. Runners on first and third and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Brewers 4, Twins 7 Top 7, 1 OutMay 30 10:09 PM
- Chris Parmelee's ground out second to first scored Justin Morneau with one out. On the play, Ryan Doumit advances to second. Runner on second and Aaron Hicks due up.
Brewers 3, Twins 7 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 30 9:54 PM
- Logan Schafer triple to right center scored Aramis Ramirez, Jonathan Lucroy and Yuniesky Betancourt with two out. Runner on third and Rickie Weeks due up.
Brewers 3, Twins 6 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 30 9:45 PM
- Joe Mauer single to right scored Pedro Florimon with two out. Runner on first and Josh Willingham due up.
Brewers 0, Twins 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 30 9:31 PM
- Ryan Doumit one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right center scored Justin Morneau. Chris Parmelee due up.
Brewers 0, Twins 5 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 30 9:09 PM
- Joe Mauer none-out Home Run (5) to left. Josh Willingham due up.
Brewers 0, Twins 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 30 9:04 PM
- Brian Dozier lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Joe Mauer due up.
Brewers 0, Twins 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 30 9:02 PM
- Chris Parmelee lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Aaron Hicks due up.
Brewers 0, Twins 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 30 8:45 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 30 8:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22