Markakis, Dickerson lift O's over TigersJun 1, 2013 - 5:18 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Nick Markakis hit a solo shot and Chris Dickerson delivered the game-winning three-run home run in the bottom of the ninth as the Baltimore Orioles defeated the Detroit Tigers, 7-5, in the opener of a three-game series at Camden Yards.
Jose Valverde (0-1) came on to pitch the ninth for the Tigers, but gave up a leadoff home run to Markakis, followed by back-to-back singles by Adam Jones and Chris Davis. He got Matt Wieters and Jeff Hardy to pop out but with two outs, Dickerson hammered a 2-1 pitch to right to give the Orioles their sixth win in eight games.
"I was just hoping he would throw me another good one after I missed the first one," said Dickerson. "I just told myself to be a little bit shorter and get the bat on it. It was pretty cool to get my first career walk-off."
Jones had a two-run home run while Wieters contributed with an RBI for the Orioles. Starter Miguel Gonzalez gave up five runs on seven hits and three walks over six frames. Darren O'Day (3-0) got the final out of the ninth to pick up the win.
Miguel Cabrera hit a two-run homer, Avisail Garcia had a solo shot and two RBI and Victor Martinez drove in one run for the Tigers, who are on a four- game losing streak.
Detroit starter Max Scherzer had 10 strikeouts and allowed three runs on three hits and two walks in eight innings.
"It's frustrating whenever you have a shot to win it in the ninth and to lose it like that is never fun," said Scherzer.
Cabrera's two-run blast came with out in the first, scoring Andy Dirks.
Jones and Davis connected on back-to-back singles to start the second. Wieters then hit a sacrifice fly to left, plating Jones. An inning later, Jones' two- run smash to center gave the Orioles a 3-2 lead.
Detroit tied the game in the fourth when Garcia's single scored Jhonny Peralta. In the fifth, Dirks and Cabrera hit back-to-back one-out singles and Prince Fielder walked. Martinez grounded into a fielder's choice but was able to bring Dirks home and the Tigers retook the lead.
Garcia extended the lead with a home run in the sixth, but the Tigers mustered just one more hit afterwards.
Meanwhile, after giving up the home run, Scherzer retired 16 straight batters. He was replaced by Valverde after throwing 119 pitches.
Miguel Cabrera has 61 RBI in 53 games this season. In 2012, he had 44 RBI after 53 games ... Manny Machado was 0-for-4 with two strikeouts ... Baltimore was 1-for-5 with runners in scoring position ... The Orioles have hit 48 homers in May, second-most in team history.
- DETROIT: 5
May 31 10:23 PM
- Chris Dickerson two-out, three-run Home Run (4) to right scored Adam Jones and Chris Davis to end the game.
Tigers 5, Orioles 7 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 31 10:10 PM
- Nick Markakis lead-off Home Run (7) to right. Adam Jones due up.
Tigers 5, Orioles 4 Bot 9, 0 OutsMay 31 9:53 PM
- Avisail Garcia one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Don Kelly due up.
Tigers 5, Orioles 3 Top 6, 1 OutMay 31 8:52 PM
- Victor Martinez grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Andy Dirks. Prince Fielder out at second Miguel Cabrera advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Tigers 4, Orioles 3 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 31 8:37 PM
- Avisail Garcia singled to center scored Jhonny Peralta. On the play, Alex Avila advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Don Kelly due up.
Tigers 3, Orioles 3 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 31 8:15 PM
- Adam Jones two-out, two-run Home Run (11) to center scored Nick Markakis. Chris Davis due up.
Tigers 2, Orioles 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 31 8:01 PM
- Matt Wieters sacrifice fly out to left scored Adam Jones. Runner on first with one out and J.J. Hardy due up.
Tigers 2, Orioles 1 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 31 7:38 PM
- Miguel Cabrera one-out, two-run Home Run (16) to scored Andy Dirks. Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 2, Orioles 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 31 7:13 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 31 7:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22