Sabathia carries Yankees over Red SoxJun 1, 2013 - 4:14 AM Bronx, NY (Sports Network) - CC Sabathia broke his five-start winless stretch on a night the New York Yankees got back two prominent members of their lineup.
Sabathia fanned 10 over 7 1/3 innings and the Yankees beat the Boston Red Sox, 4-1, to snap a season-high five-game skid.
Mark Teixeira and Kevin Youkilis returned from the disabled list. Teixeira, who was on the 60-day DL, suffered a strained wrist tendon during the World Baseball Classic on March 6. Youkilis, who signed a one-year contract worth $12 million in the offseason, was placed on the disabled list on April 30 with a lower back strain. Teixeira drew a walk in the second inning and scored the team's first run on a Jayson Nix single. Youkilis had an RBI base hit in the fifth inning.
"When your lineup is deep pitchers have to attack your entire lineup differently," Yankees outfielder Vernon Wells said. "As we start getting healthier as a lineup, our offense will continue to get better."
Sabathia (5-4) didn't walk a batter and allowed six hits and a run to get his first victory since April 27 against Toronto. The lefty threw 73 of his 109 pitches for strikes.
"It feels good to be able to go out and give this team a boost," Sabathia said. "Hopefully we can get back on the right track."
Mariano Rivera, who suffered his first blown save of the year Tuesday against the Mets, worked out of trouble in the ninth inning to get his 19th save of the season.
Jon Lester (6-2), making his 200th career appearance, gave up four runs on six hits over 6 1/3 innings as the AL East leaders lost for the third time in four contests.
"Just bad pitches, behind in the count, not commanding the baseball," Lester said. "The list goes on. Not a good night for me."
The opener of this three-game series marked the first meeting between the division rivals since the opening set of the season, also at Yankee Stadium. The Yankees were swept in four games by the Mets this week.
After Teixeira walked to start the second, Wells doubled to center over the head of Jackie Bradley Jr. Nix singled to left field for the game's first run. One out later, Ichiro Suzuki reached out to slap an RBI single to left.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi was ejected for arguing a call at second base in the fifth inning when Stephen Drew appeared off the base to take a throw from Lester on a fielder's choice hit by Suzuki. Youkilis singled past a diving Jose Iglesias at third to make it 3-0.
Mike Napoli doubled home Dustin Pedroia in the top of the seventh, but Brett Gardner singled to left-center to drive in Suzuki in the bottom half.
Pedroia and David Ortiz had back-to-back singles with one out in the ninth, but Napoli struck out swinging and Drew grounded out back to Rivera to end the game.
Jacoby Ellsbury was out with a tight left groin for the Red Sox. Ellsbury set a Red Sox single-game record with five stolen bases, going 3-for-4 with a walk at the plate in Thursday's win at Philadelphia ... Pitchers Ivan Nova and Vidal Nuno were optioned to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to make room on the 25-man roster for Teixeira and Youkilis ... Lester, who had five strikeouts and four walks, threw 116 pitches.
- BOSTON: 1
NEW YORK: 4
May 31 10:03 PM
- Brett Gardner single to center scored Ichiro Suzuki. On the play, Chris Stewart advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Red Sox 1, Yankees 4 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 31 9:28 PM
- Mike Napoli double to right scored Dustin Pedroia. Runner on second with one out and Stephen Drew due up.
Red Sox 1, Yankees 3 Top 7, 1 OutMay 31 9:11 PM
- KingHockeyMan Now 3 - 0 Yanks....I rarely bet w/my 'heart' & not w/my 'head'. I did 2nite. No more especially w/Baseball. No excuse for me, KingHockeyMan! I better "puck off" doing that. ...lol. Here in New England/New York areas. Yanks & Sox rivalry is more than HUGE! ...PEACE!
Red Sox 0, Yankees 3 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 31 9:01 PM
- Kevin Youkilis single to left scored Ichiro Suzuki. On the play, Chris Stewart thrown out at third to end the inning.
Red Sox 0, Yankees 3 End 5May 31 8:47 PM
- KingHockeyMan Figured the Yanks would be ornery loosing 3 str8 to the Mets. I still picked the BoSox to win tonight. Still 2-0 Yanks in the last half of the 5th. Looks like I lost this one. I stay away from Baseball for so many reasons. So after my Hockey ends. I take my summer break from AYWT. 4 more weeks or less for the NHL & NBA Playoff seasons to end. Like the song says; "see you in September"...lol. September & October are the best in sports. It is also the best for AYWT.all the way tillthe end of June. 9 months of great sports. 3 months off from Late June to early September. Screw Baseball....lol.
Red Sox 0, Yankees 2 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 31 8:38 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki single to left scored Vernon Wells. On the play, Jayson Nix advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Chris Stewart due up.
Red Sox 0, Yankees 2 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 31 7:51 PM
- Jayson Nix single to left scored Mark Teixeira. On the play, Vernon Wells advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and David Adams due up.
Red Sox 0, Yankees 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 31 7:45 PM
- BOSTON: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 31 7:08 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21