Rays power past Indians to win seriesJun 3, 2013 - 12:00 AM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - Evan Longoria and Yunel Escobar each slammed two-run homers as the Tampa Bay Rays dismantled the Cleveland Indians, 11-3, to win the rubber match of a three-game series at Progressive Field on Sunday.
Longoria finished with three RBI while James Loney knocked in two. Jose Lobaton, Ryan Roberts and Kelly Johnson each added one RBI apiece for the Rays, who have won seven of their last eight.
"The bottom part (of the lineup) really has contributed a lot," Rays manager Joe Maddon said of his team's recent success. "One through nine we feel pretty good about scoring runs."
Jeremy Hellickson (3-2) yielded three runs on nine hits with four strikeouts over five frames to record the win.
Mike Aviles had a two RBI single and Yan Gomes drove in a the other run for the Indians.
Tampa Bay took an early 2-0 lead in the first inning. Zach McAllister (4-5) saw his 11 2/3 consecutive scoreless innings come to an end early after Loney hit a two-out, two-run double off the glove of center fielder Michael Bourn.
The Rays added another run in the third, when Joyce worked a walk and later scored on a Longoria slapper to right.
Sam Fuld started off the fourth with a leadoff triple, his second of the season. An infield single by Lobaton brought home the run.
McAllister had his shortest outing of the season, going just 4 1/3 innings, surrendering five runs -- four earned -- on seven hits while walking four.
"I didn't have great command today," McAllister admitted. "I fell behind hitters and put guys on base and when you do that things happen. You give up runs."
The Indians had four straight two-out hits in the fourth to pull within one. Mark Reynolds and Carlos Santana started the rally with singles. Gomes doubled to score the first run then Aviles singled to center to cut Cleveland's deficit to 4-3.
Gomes gave a run back to the Rays in the fifth when he tried to throw out Kelly Johnson stealing third and the ball got past Longoria at third base, allowing Johnson to score.
Escobar's two-run shot to center off Cleveland reliever Nick Hagadone in the sixth gave the Rays a four-run cushion, and Tampa Bay's lead doubled two innings later.
Longoria's homer in the eighth capped off a four run inning for the Rays, which also included a Roberts RBI single and a Johnson sacrifice fly.
Cleveland manager Terry Francona was ejected in the fifth inning for arguing a strike call ... The Indians have won 6 of 11 games started by McAllister ... Joyce has reached base in 30 straight starts, dating back to April 15 at Boston ... Longoria ended a 19-game home run drought with his shot in the eighth inning.
- TAMPA BAY: 11
Jun 2 4:29 PM
- Evan Longoria two-out, two-run Home Run (10) to right scored Ryan Roberts. James Loney due up.
Rays 11, Indians 3 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 2 3:59 PM
- Kelly Johnson sacrifice fly out to right scored Ben Zobrist. Runner on first with two outs and Evan Longoria due up.
Rays 9, Indians 3 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 2 3:55 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Ryan Roberts singled to right scoring Yunel Escobar. On the play, Ben Zobrist advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Kelly Johnson due up.
Rays 8, Indians 3 Top 8, 1 OutJun 2 3:54 PM
- Yunel Escobar none-out, two-run Home Run (5) to center scored Jose Lobaton. Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 7, Indians 3 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 2 3:08 PM
- Kelly Johnson stole third. On the play, Yan Gomes throwing error scored Kelly Johnson. None on with one out and James Loney at the plate.
Rays 5, Indians 3 Top 5, 1 OutJun 2 2:42 PM
- Mike Aviles singled to center scoring Carlos Santana and Yan Gomes. Runner on first with two outs and Drew Stubbs due up.
Rays 4, Indians 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 2 2:33 PM
- Yan Gomes doubled to right scoring Mark Reynolds. On the play, Carlos Santana advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Mike Aviles due up.
Rays 4, Indians 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 2 2:31 PM
- Jose Lobaton singled to second scoring Sam Fuld. Runner on first with none out and Yunel Escobar due up.
Rays 4, Indians 0 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 2 2:12 PM
- Evan Longoria singled to right scored Matt Joyce. Runner on first with two outs and James Loney due up.
Rays 3, Indians 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 2 1:53 PM
- James Loney doubled to center scored Matt Joyce and Kelly Johnson. Runner on second with two outs and Luke Scott due up.
Rays 2, Indians 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 2 1:16 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 2 1:07 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21