O's rally past TigersJun 3, 2013 - 12:06 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Chris Davis hit his league-leading 20th homer of the season and the Baltimore Orioles used a three-run seventh inning to beat the Detroit Tigers, 4-2, in the rubber match of a three-game series.
Alexi Casilla, Danny Valencia and Nate McLouth added an RBI apiece for the Orioles, who went 4-1 on a five-game homestand.
"It was big for us," Davis said of the homestand. "For us to battle back after the loss (Saturday) and get the win, it's good."
Baltimore starter Kevin Gausman allowed one run on five hits over six innings in his third career start. Brian Matusz (2-0) gave up one run on three hits in the seventh to pick up the win.
Prince Fielder hit a solo home run for the Tigers, who went 1-4 on a five- game road trip. Jhonny Peralta had an RBI.
"We had a rough stretch, rough road trip," Detroit outfielder Torii Hunter said. "It's baseball. We're going to bounce back."
Detroit starter Rick Porcello (2-3) allowed three runs on six hits while striking out seven over six-plus frames to take the loss.
Fielder's homer in the fourth made it 1-0 Detroit. The Tigers, however, left a man on third during their next at-bat.
Detroit managed to tack on another run in the seventh. Fielder doubled to center and Victor Martinez singled to left to put men on the corners with one out. Peralta followed with a bloop single to right to plate Fielder.
The Orioles responded with three runs in the bottom half of the frame. Davis led off with a homer to right. Chris Dickerson and J.J. Hardy followed with back-to-back singles, chasing Porcello from the game. Phil Coke came in from the bullpen and was greeted by pinch-hitter Valencia's RBI single to shallow right. After Chris Snyder bunted into a fielder's choice, McLouth hit an RBI single to center to make it 3-2 Baltimore.
The home team added an insurance run in the eighth. Davis doubled and raced home on Casilla's two-out double to left.
Jim Johnson tossed a scoreless ninth to pick up his 18th save of the season.
Each team had 10 hits ... Porcello fell to 1-4 lifetime against the Orioles ... The Tigers acquired the contract of outfielder/third baseman Francisco Martinez from the Seattle Mariners in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations by June 15. Detroit optioned Martinez to Single-A Lakeland. To make room for Martinez on the club's 40-man roster, the Tigers designated for assignment the contract of outfielder Quintin Berry.
- DETROIT: 2
Jun 2 4:47 PM
- Alexi Casilla double to left scored Chris Davis with two out. On the play, J.J. Hardy advances to third. Runners on second and third and Chris Snyder due up.
Tigers 2, Orioles 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 2 4:31 PM
- Nate McLouth single to center scored pinch-runner Alexi Casilla with one out. On the play, Chris Snyder advances to second. Runners on first and second and Manny Machado due up.
Tigers 2, Orioles 3 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 2 4:08 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Danny Valencia single to right scored Chris Dickerson with none out. On the play, J.J. Hardy advances to second. Runners on first and second and Chris Snyder due up.
Tigers 2, Orioles 2 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 2 4:01 PM
- Chris Davis lead-off Home Run (20) to right. Chris Dickerson due up.
Tigers 2, Orioles 1 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 2 3:49 PM
- Jhonny Peralta single to right scored Prince Fielder with none out. On the play, Victor Martinez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Alex Avila due up.
Tigers 2, Orioles 0 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 2 3:41 PM
- Prince Fielder two-out, solo Home Run (11) to right. Victor Martinez due up.
Tigers 1, Orioles 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 2 2:46 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 2 1:38 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22