Rosales, Athletics rally past White Sox in extrasJun 7, 2013 - 5:33 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Adam Rosales hit the last of Oakland's four solo homers with two outs in the top of the 10th inning to lift the Athletics to a 5-4 win over the Chicago White Sox in the opener of a four-game series at U.S. Cellular Field.
Rosales' blast inside the left-field foul pole off Matt Thornton (0-2) helped the red-hot Athletics improve to a season-high best 12 games over .500 at 37-25. Oakland has won 17 of its last 20 games.
Yoenis Cespedes took Chicago starter Jose Quintana deep twice, while Josh Reddick also homered off the left-hander.
Dan Straily started for Oakland and gave up four runs on six hits in seven innings. Jerry Blevins (5-0) earned the win after striking out Tyler Flowers to end the bottom of the ninth with a runner on second.
The White Sox placed a runner on third in the home 10th, but Grant Balfour earned his 14th save by retiring Adam Dunn on a deep fly ball to left field.
Extra innings was the last thing Chicago players wanted. After all, they returned home after ending an eight-game losing streak with Wednesday's 16- inning victory at Seattle.
"Even after the late arrival and the long game (Thursday), we had a lot of energy," White Sox acting manager Mark Parent said.
The White Sox jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the third inning on Thursday. Alexei Ramirez blooped a two-out single over the shortstop to bring home Flowers and Alejandro De Aza. Ramirez then stole second and advanced to third on a wild pitch before scoring on a base hit by Alex Rios.
Quintana was unhittable in the early going as he retired the first 11 batters. The A's, however, scored in four straight innings, beginning with Cespedes' two-out shot to left-center in the fourth.
"You never feel like you're ever down on this team," Straily said. "There's never any quit."
Rosales doubled home Nate Freiman with two outs in the fifth, but the White Sox got a run back in the home half of the inning. Gordon Beckham led off with a walk, advanced to third on Flowers' double and scored on a De Aza single.
Chicago then loaded the bases with one out later in the fifth, but Reddick snagged Dunn's fly ball in right and threw Flowers out home to end the inning. Oakland catcher Derek Norris managed to hold onto the ball following a collision at the plate.
Cespedes and Reddick launched homers in the next two frames to tie things up.
Chicago skipper Robin Ventura missed Thursday's game to attend family graduation ceremonies in California. Parent, the bench coach, managed in place of Ventura, who will also miss Friday's game ... The A's limited the White Sox to three runs while sweeping a three-game set in Oakland last weekend ... The White Sox placed pitcher Jake Peavy on the 15-day disabled list with a fracture of the left fourth anterior rib. The White Sox also shuffled their bullpen following Wednesday's marathon game in Seattle, recalling Deunte Heath from Triple-A Charlotte and purchasing the contract of pitcher Ramon Troncoso from the Knights. Brian Omogrosso was optioned to Charlotte.
- OAKLAND: 5
Jun 6 11:08 PM
- Adam Rosales two-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Coco Crisp due up.
Athletics 5, White Sox 4 Top 10, 2 OutsJun 6 10:46 PM
- Josh Reddick one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Derek Norris due up.
Athletics 4, White Sox 4 Top 7, 1 OutJun 6 9:55 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes one-out, solo Home Run 2 (13) to right. Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 3, White Sox 4 Top 6, 1 OutJun 6 9:42 PM
- Alejandro De Aza single to left scored Gordon Beckham. On the play, Tyler Flowers advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Alexei Ramirez due up.
Athletics 2, White Sox 4 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 6 9:29 PM
- Adam Rosales double to left scored Nate Freiman. Runner on second with two outs and Coco Crisp due up.
Athletics 2, White Sox 3 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 6 9:22 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes two-out, solo Home Run (12) to left center. Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 1, White Sox 3 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 6 9:04 PM
- Alex Rios single to center scored Alexei Ramirez. Runner on first with two outs and Adam Dunn due up.
Athletics 0, White Sox 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 6 8:55 PM
- Alexei Ramirez single to center scored Tyler Flowers and Alejandro De Aza. Runner on first with two outs and Alex Rios due up.
Athletics 0, White Sox 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 6 8:51 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 6 8:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22