Hughes pitches Yankees past MarinersJun 7, 2013 - 5:28 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Phil Hughes worked seven-plus innings and Robinson Cano hit a three-run home run to lift the New York Yankees to a 6-1 win over the Seattle Mariners in the opener of a four-game set.
Mark Teixeira hit a solo home run while Vernon Wells and Ichiro Suzuki each drove in one for the Yankees, who have won four straight. Hughes (3-4) gave up just one run on three hits with a pair of walks and seven strikeouts to win for the first time in five starts.
Aaron Harang (2-6) was touched for all six runs on eight hits in just 2 1/3 innings for the Mariners, who were coming off a 16-inning loss to the White Sox on Wednesday. Kyle Seager had a pair of hits and drove in the lone run.
"He just wasn't making pitches, and they weren't missing them," said Seattle manager Eric Wedge about Harang. "On the other side, their guy was pitching tremendous out there today."
The Yanks got all the runs they needed with a big third inning, and it started off with a leadoff single from Jayson Nix. Two batters later, Brett Gardner singled and Cano launched a pitch over the wall in right for his 15th home run of the season. Teixeira followed with his third of the year, a blast to right- center.
Travis Hafner then singled and Kevin Youkilis doubled to put two runners in scoring position, and consecutive singles from Wells and Suzuki each plated a run for a 6-0 lead.
Hughes faced little trouble from the Seattle lineup as he retired the first eight hitters before Brendan Ryan hit a single with two outs in the third.
Kendrys Morales punched a two-out single in the fourth, and the Mariners threatened in the sixth.
Ryan walked to start the frame and, after Jason Bay flied out, Seager singled to put men at the corners. Hughes, though, got Raul Ibanez and Morales to pop out and escape the jam.
Hughes then set the Mariners down in order in the seventh and was pulled in the eighth after issuing a leadoff walk to Kelly Shoppach.
Preston Claiborne took over on the mound and induced a fielder's choice from Ryan, but Bay then reached base on an error from Youkilis. Claiborne was then pulled for Boone Logan, who promptly gave up a one-run double to Seager. Logan, though, struck out Ibanez and Morales to end the frame.
Shawn Kelley retired the Mariners in order to close out the ninth inning.
Blake Beavan pitched 6 2/3 innings of relief for Seattle and gave up just one hit while striking out four ... Seattle took two of three in New York in mid- May ... Hughes moved to 5-3 in 11 games (8 starts) against the Mariners in his career.
- NEW YORK: 6
Jun 7 1:05 AM
- Kyle Seager double to right scored Brendan Ryan with one out. On the play, Jason Bay advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Raul Ibanez due up.
Yankees 6, Mariners 1 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 7 12:43 AM
- Ichiro Suzuki single to left scored Kevin Youkilis with one out. On the play, Vernon Wells advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Jayson Nix due up.
Yankees 6, Mariners 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 6 10:55 PM
- Vernon Wells single to right scored Travis Hafner with one out. On the play, Kevin Youkilis advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Yankees 5, Mariners 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 6 10:53 PM
- Mark Teixeira one-out, solo Home Run (3) to right center. Travis Hafner due up.
Yankees 4, Mariners 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 6 10:48 PM
- Robinson Cano one-out, three-run Home Run (15) to right scored Jayson Nix and Brett Gardner. Mark Teixeira due up.
Yankees 3, Mariners 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 6 10:47 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 6 10:11 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21