Rays sting Orioles for second straight timeJun 9, 2013 - 3:42 AM St. Petersburg, FL (Sports Network) - Luke Scott hit a three-run triple to highlight a five-run fifth inning, and Jeremy Hellickson tossed six scoreless frames, as Tampa Bay blitzed Baltimore, 8-0, in the middle test of a three- game set from Tropicana Field.
Ben Zobrist, Yunel Escobar and Jose Lobaton each contributed three hits and an RBI for the Rays, who have taken the first two games in the series and 10 of 13 overall.
"Of course you look at what other teams are doing, but you have to take care of what you're doing first," said Rays manager Joe Maddon of his club's surge in a tough division. "You keep moving forward, try to get to 10 games over .500, then 15."
James Loney and Evan Longoria also drove in a run each, as Hellickson (4-2) scattered four hits and struck out five without walking a batter.
Kevin Gausman (0-3) lasted just 4 1/3 frames, charged with eight hits and seven runs while fanning six and walking three for the Orioles, who have dropped three of four.
"I'm just trying to battle every day and get back to doing what got me here," Gausman said. "There's definitely a learning curve here. I wanted to come up and hit the ground running, and it hasn't happened like that."
Tampa broke open a relatively close game with five runs in the fifth. Zobrist started it with a leadoff double, then Longoria walked with one out. Loney dumped a single to score one run, and after Gausman walked Desmond Jennings to load the bases, he was pulled for T.J. MacFarland.
Baltimore's reliever was greeted by a bases-clearing triple from Scott followed by an RBI double from Lobaton and the Rays led 8-0.
Hellickson was in control, save for giving up two hits in the first and two more in the fifth. In the former, he worked out of trouble by getting Chris Davis on a pop to third, and in the latter, Nate McLouth was retired on a fly to left. He completed his day by turning in a 1-2-3 sixth.
"It was huge, getting out of it (the fifth) with a zero and then in the bottom half, kind of putting the game out of reach," Hellickson said. "I can't even blow an eight-run lead, so it was nice to get out of that."
Alex Torres, Jamey Wright and Kyle Farnsworth combined over the next three innings to strike out four and not allow a hit.
Longoria's two-out RBI single in the home first gave the hosts a lead, then run-scoring singles by Escobar and Zobrist in the second made it a 3-0 game.
Tampa Bay notched its seventh shutout and second in June, while Baltimore was blanked for the third time and hadn't been held scoreless since a 4-0 loss to the Angels on May 3 ... Hellickson has won three straight decisions.
- BALTIMORE: 0
TAMPA BAY: 8
Jun 8 7:03 PM
- Jose Lobaton doubled to left scored Luke Scott with one out. Runner on second and Yunel Escobar due up.
Orioles 0, Rays 8 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 8 6:05 PM
- Luke Scott tripled to right scored Evan Longoria, James Loney and Desmond Jennings with one out. Runner on third and Jose Lobaton due up.
Orioles 0, Rays 7 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 8 6:03 PM
- James Loney singled to center scored Ben Zobrist with one out. On the play, Evan Longoria advances to second. Runners on first and second and Desmond Jennings due up.
Orioles 0, Rays 4 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 8 5:56 PM
- Ben Zobrist singled to left scored Jose Lobaton with two outs. On the play, Yunel Escobar advances to second. Runners on first and second and Kelly Johnson due up.
Orioles 0, Rays 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 8 4:58 PM
- Yunel Escobar singled to center scored Luke Scott with one out. On the play, Jose Lobaton advances to third. Runners on first and third and Matt Joyce due up.
Orioles 0, Rays 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 8 4:55 PM
- Evan Longoria singled to left scored Ben Zobrist with two outs. Runner on first and James Loney due up.
Orioles 0, Rays 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 8 4:34 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 8 4:12 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21