Pettitte pitches Yankees past MarinersJun 9, 2013 - 2:08 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Andy Pettitte pitched into the eighth inning and Jayson Nix drove in a pair to lead the New York Yankees in a 3-1 win over the Seattle Mariners in the third of a four-game set.
Pettitte (5-3) gave up just a run on three hits with no walks and six strikeouts over 7 1/3 frames, while Brett Gardner went 3-for-5 with a run scored for the Yankees, who have won five of six.
"What I want to do is go out there and throw the ball well and do my job," said Pettitte. "It's been sort of a grind out there the past couple of weeks, but I felt like I had good control tonight."
Michael Morse drove in the lone run for the Mariners, who have lost three of their last four. Joe Saunders (4-6) yielded three runs on seven hits with a pair of walks and four strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings.
"They put some good swings on some good pitches and found the holes," said Saunders. "I don't think I pitched bad tonight, it was just one of those things where they were swinging the bat well."
The Yankees went on top in the first inning as Mark Teixeira doubled with two outs and scored when Robinson Cano followed with a single to right field.
Pettitte, who earned his 250th career win, went through the Mariners lineup without a flaw, but gave up a leadoff single to Jason Bay to start the fourth. Kyle Seager followed with a single to right and both runners moved up on a groundout from Kendrys Morales. Morse then lofted a sac fly to center to tie the game.
In the fifth, the Yankees went back ahead and Ichiro Suzuki got it started with a walk. He moved up a base on a single and a groundout, before crossing the plate on a Nix single to right for a 2-1 lead.
In the seventh, Gardner doubled to right field with one out and, after Danny Farquhar took the mound, Nix singled to center to make it a 3-1 contest.
Pettitte retired Seattle in order in the fifth, sixth and seventh, but gave up a leadoff single to Nick Franklin to start the eighth. After Michael Saunders fouled out, David Robertson took over on the mound and walked Brendan Ryan. That was it, though, as pinch-hitter Endy Chavez hit into a fielder's choice and Bay flied out to end the frame.
Mariano Rivera allowed two men to reach base in the ninth, but struck out Franklin to pick up his 22nd save of the season.
Each team has won three games in the season series ... Pettitte improved to 12-13 in 26 career matchups against Seattle ... Saunders fell to 3-2 in seven games against New York ... Seattle went 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position and left five on base ... Morales left the game after the fifth inning due to stiffness in his back.
- NEW YORK: 3
Jun 8 6:57 PM
- Jayson Nix single to center scored Brett Gardner. Runner on first with one out and Mark Teixeira due up.
Yankees 3, Mariners 1 Top 7, 1 OutJun 8 5:56 PM
- Jayson Nix single to right scored Ichiro Suzuki. On the play, Brett Gardner advances to second. Runners on first and second with two out and Mark Teixeira due up.
Yankees 2, Mariners 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 8 5:19 PM
- Michael Morse sacrifice fly to center scored Jason Bay. Runner on second with two out and Raul Ibanez due up.
Yankees 1, Mariners 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 8 5:06 PM
- Robinson Cano single to right scored Mark Teixeira. Runner on first with two out and Vernon Wells due up.
Yankees 1, Mariners 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 8 4:14 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 8 4:11 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21