Red Sox batter Blanton, double up AngelsJun 10, 2013 - 1:44 AM Boston, MA (Sports Network) - Jarrod Saltalamacchia smacked a pair of homers and finished with four RBI, as the Boston Red Sox downed the LA Angels of Anaheim, 10-5, in the rubber match of a three-game set Sunday at Fenway Park.
David Ortiz broke a 1-1 tie with a three-run blast in the third, while Mike Carp added a solo shot and two runs scored for the Red Sox, who have won two straight after taking the nightcap of Saturday's doubleheader.
"Once again, a lot of deep counts, a lot of pitches seen, a lot of good swings taken, starting with the three-run homer with David, to not only give us the four runs in that third inning but give us a little breathing room," Red Sox manager John Farrell said.
Ryan Dempster (4-6) struck out six and held the Halos to three runs on six hits and two walks over six innings to earn his second straight victory.
Joe Blanton (1-10) continued to struggle, as the Angels right-hander gave up seven runs -- six earned -- on eight hits over five-plus frames in his third consecutive setback.
"I'm never frustrated. It is what it is," Blanton said. "I went out and did my best today."
Albert Pujols and Alberto Callaspo each clubbed a solo homer for the Angels, who have lost seven of their last nine games.
Pujols put the Angels on the board with a two-out blast in the first, but the Red Sox responded with four runs in the third to seize control.
Jacoby Ellsbury reached on a fielder's choice and stole second before scoring on Daniel Nava's base hit to right to tie the game.
Dustin Pedroia then singled to left and Ortiz followed with a towering fly ball into the Boston bullpen in right-center field to make it 4-1 Red Sox.
The visitors got a run back in the fourth on Callaspo's leadoff homer, but Ellsbury scorched a two-out, run-scoring triple in the bottom half to restore Boston's four-run lead.
The Angels cut into the deficit again in the fifth, as Mike Trout stroked a leadoff double and scored three batters later on Mark Trumbo's single.
Boston, though, tacked on two more in the sixth when Saltalamacchia and Carp clubbed back-to-back homers to push the margin to 7-3 and chase Blanton from the contest.
Saltalamacchia added to the Boston lead in his next at-bat, as he followed consecutive walks to Ortiz and Mike Napoli with a deep fly ball to straightaway center field to make it 10-3.
J.B. Shuck smacked a two-run single in the eighth to account for the final margin.
At 39-25, the Red Sox are 14 games above .500 for the first time since the conclusion of the 2011 season (18 games, 90-72) ... Dempster now has 2,001 career strikeouts, becoming just the second Canadian-born pitcher to eclipse the 2,000-strikeout plateau ... The Angels went 3-for-10 with runners in scoring position and left nine runners on base.
- LOS ANGELES: 5
Jun 9 5:15 PM
- J.B. Shuck singled to center scoring Alberto Callaspo and Erick Aybar with two out. On the play, Chris Iannetta advances to second. Runners on first and second with Mike Trout due up.
Angels 5, Red Sox 10 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 9 4:50 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia one-out, three-run Home Run 2 (8) to center scored David Ortiz and Mike Napoli. Mike Carp due up.
Angels 3, Red Sox 10 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 9 4:21 PM
- Mike Carp none-out, solo Home Run (6) to center. Stephen Drew due up.
Angels 3, Red Sox 7 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 9 3:42 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia lead-off Home Run (7) to center. Mike Carp due up.
Angels 3, Red Sox 6 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 9 3:41 PM
- Mark Trumbo singled to center scoring Mike Trout with two out. Runner on first and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 3, Red Sox 5 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 9 3:23 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury tripled to right scoring Mike Carp with two out. Runner on third and Daniel Nava due up.
Angels 2, Red Sox 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 9 3:12 PM
- Alberto Callaspo lead-off Home Run (4) to right. Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 2, Red Sox 4 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 9 2:50 PM
- David Ortiz one-out, three-run Home Run (13) to right scored Daniel Nava and Dustin Pedroia. Mike Napoli due up.
Angels 1, Red Sox 4 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 9 2:45 PM
- Daniel Nava singled to right scoring Jacoby Ellsbury with one out. Runner on first and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Angels 1, Red Sox 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 9 2:40 PM
- Albert Pujols two-out, solo Home Run (10) to right center. Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 1, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 9 1:48 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 9 1:43 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21